Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Freaky_C

Printer Head doesn't align over build plate plus x and y axis error

I'm no expert and don't have the proper verbage with this technology, but here I go:

Ultimaker 2 go printed fine 2 times since receiving it a couple days ago. Then the third small print came out leaning, which on the fourth print, it came up with "x or y axis is broken error contact support". Then when restarting it appeared to work; however, it didn't align over the build plate like it initially did when adjusting the height with sliding the paper and all. Instead, it moved over about an inch from the left corner of the build plate. I adjusted the head to the mm, then it moved to about an inch off the left front corner. SInce I couldn't adjust that, I clicked continue and it moved to the right to about center front (somewhere near there).

I did a factory reset and it did the same. I've turned it off and back on and it goes back to the x or y error.

What now? I've looked up these issues, but have no clue what to even attempt.

You probably have a set screw loose. Most likely the one directly on the pulley on the stepper motor shaft. Unfortunately that means you'll have to unmount the stepper motor in order to get to the screw. I would go through each and every pulley and tighten the set screws on them since this seems to be an issue lately.

Thanks for the quick response.  I opened up the printer, taking off the side panel.  When attempting to tighten the set screw on the stepper motor shaft (clockwise), it's already tight.  The stepper motor was already mounted low on the side panel.  Is there something I'm missing?  By chance, are there any links with video showing this being done?

Edited by Guest

I think i found the problem.  As I looked at all the pulleys, I saw that the back right belt wasn't turning (well, wasn't continuously turning).  Looking even closer, the back right pulley has no set screw and I think it continues to slip because it's not tight (at all).

5a330f98d7407_screwmissing.thumb.jpg.a1ef64ca8f09fa52f5ec01828de0598c.jpg

5a330f98d7407_screwmissing.thumb.jpg.a1ef64ca8f09fa52f5ec01828de0598c.jpg

Edited by Guest

DON'T TAKE OF THE SIDE PANELS!

Lol.

You don't need to.  Unless you meant the metal cover.  The metal cover comes off with removing only one or two screws (depending when you got your UM2).

Anyway, it sounds like the set screw fell out.  You can try to get one of those at a hardware store.  I assume it's an M3 (metric 3mm screw).  Shipping is amazing the damage it can do to a printer.  Certainly ultimaker support can send you some more set screws.  If you live in USA they will ship from memphis.

Edited by Guest

He has GO so no screws to remove for the covering plates. They come off with a bit of force. Putting them back is a bit of a pain (too many points of attachment IMHO).

And if the set screw is missing that just confirms my first suspicion about a loose pulley. Find a replacement for that screw and you'll be good to go. The error message is caused by this as well, I've seen it personally on three different printers.

And the set screw is M4x4mm, not M3.

• Like 1