Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
clems

Set Z offset in Cura

Hi ultimakers,

i want to print directly onto different objects which have a height of 1, 3 and 4 mm. Is there a way in cura to set the z value, so that the starting z-value is 1,3 and 4 mm above the printbed. I do not want to change the z-stop manually as I need to change the value of the z a lot.

Hopefully someone can help me!

Regards

Clemens

Cura has no such feature. It only has very limited uses cases and makes the workflow much more complicated / confusing. With a little bit of g-code tweaking you could implement this yourself (Do a certain move before you start and reset the zero position).

If you want to make that automatic and know a bit of code, you could use https://github.com/nallath/PostProcessingPlugin

I think you have 2 options, ofc making a plugging would rock.

- Simplify3D has Z offset (150€ slicer no demo to test)

- Attach something of 1.3mm to the piece that hits the Z sensor (design + print). On umo the wood would let you screw something to it probably, on um2 I think it's a screw that hits the sensor on the lower part, so that could be trickier since you need to remove distance. Maybe unscrew it 1.3mm?

Droping ideas

Cura has no such feature. It only has very limited uses cases and makes the workflow much more complicated / confusing. With a little bit of g-code tweaking you could implement this yourself (Do a certain move before you start and reset the zero position).

Thank you for the hint. I changed my starting gcode:

G21        ;metric values

G90        ;absolute positioning

M82        ;set extruder to absolute mode

M107       ;start with the fan off

G28 X0 Y0  ;move X/Y to min endstops

G28 Z0     ;move Z to min endstops

G92 Z-3  ; reset the position

After moving Z to min endstops. I reset this postion to the negativ height of my objects.

That is now easy for me.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1