Print head not centered.

Speedy

Posted (edited) · Print head not centered.

Hi Guys,

Today I was changing filament on my Ultimaker 2 go and I forgot to remove the filament before taking out the boden tube. When I told the machine to retract  the filament in moved the print head all the way to the right and bashed it into the right frame. After restarting the machine I selected change filament again and the print head moved to the centre of the build plate as usual, however, I noticed it is now not on centre but a few cm too far too the right. I have realigned the axles and they look fine and my x y stops have not moved so I'm out of ideas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm feeling very worried atm.

Thanks,

Speedy.

IMG_20150822_191830.thumb.jpg.cf29dd7e710aec298c31dbe377f8c5aa.jpg

IMG_20150822_191830.thumb.jpg.cf29dd7e710aec298c31dbe377f8c5aa.jpg

Edited by Guest

Posted · Print head not centered.

I tried printing a 110mm wide rectangle and as expected the printer printed it too far to the left resulting in some of it printing off the build plate. It seems that the machine does not know exactly where the print head is. I have checked the plugs of all the sensors into the arduino.

Thanks in Advance to the awesome community :)

Speedy.

I am really baffled, after using pronterface to move around the axes everything seems fine except moving the printhead 60 mm to the right does not centre it( this is the value half the width of the print bed). I have ensured the cables attached to the motor and xy stops is not pinched anywhere.

Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

How old is your printer? When the um2go first came out there was a firmware bug where it was printing a bit to the left. It's normal for 0,0 to be off the left edge but it should never actually print over there.

You might want to load the firmware from cura 15.04 into your um2go.

Now having the printer bash the right side seems very strange. But position 60mm should be much to the left of center - at least that part is normal - the head can travel farther than your max print size.

How old is your printer?  When the um2go first came out there was a firmware bug where it was printing a bit to the left.  It's normal for 0,0 to be off the left edge but it should never actually print over there.

You might want to load the firmware from cura 15.04 into your um2go.

Now having the printer bash the right side seems very strange.  But position 60mm should be much to the left of center - at least that part is normal - the head can travel farther than your max print size.

Thanks for the reply,

Unfortunately I have tried numerous firmwares and unfortunately none of them have solved the problem.

Any further ideas would be much appreciated,

Speedy

Edited by Guest

When my UM2go is changing material its off to one side like in you printer.

When you printed the 110mm rectangle how far off was it?

Speedy - well if the print head is hitting a side that's something specific that shouldn't happen. Printing off the left edge is "almost" normal and a different issue but the 2 things may be related.

How is the homing procedure? It should tap lightly the X and Y switches twice. I'm worried that one of your switches isn't working. Can you run it 5 times in a row from the menu system and make sure that's working properly?

There's 4 ways to assemble the print head - you can have the nozzle front-left front-right rear-left or rear-right. Which way is it assembled on your um2go?

Is your glass centered in the clips? I pushed mine a few mm to the left so it doesn't print off the left edge.

Thanks for the help so far guys,

I homed the head multiple times and it homes normally, light taps and in the left back corner. I checked the stops with pronterface and they seem fine too. My um2go has 2 nozzle spots and it is positioned on the left. The glass is centred but the printhead moves past the edge of the build plate when printing the rectangle by clsoe to 1 cm. The issue Labern describes is what makes me think the printer does not know where the printhead exactly is.

Thanks,

David

This certainly sounds like a Marlin bug. My um2go has the exact same problem and I was told it was fixed in a newer version of the firmware but I still haven't upgraded the firmware. I never print close to the edge of the um2go anyway so it's not a big deal for me as I just switch to my UM2 for larger parts.

The um2go is designed to be able to move the head to the left of the bed - that's normal. What's not normal is that when you print something at the limits of what it can do that it goes off the edge.

I guess I would draw a little map to help us all understand better - create a part in cura that just barely is supposed to fit - something that has a bump every 10mm. Then print it so we can see the pattern of how it fits on the bed and then photograph and post it and contact support about this - or I will contact support for you if you post a photo. Also tell me the version of firmware - as read off using the panel on the printer itself to be absolutely sure you have the right version - also do a "factory reset" or something like that. It's possible that the margin settings for the printer are stored where other preset like things are (like PLA temp preset) and after updating the firmware you might have to do a factory reset.

I have a direct chat line to tech support people around the world and the USA guy already mentioned something - is it only going over by a slight amount? If so it could simply be the X end stop (in the back left corner) needs bending slightly such that it homes slightly more (1 to 3 mm say) to the right.

Or does it print more than that off the left edge?

Wait, when did I move to the US? :p

lol. I saw simon's picture above my post and got confused. I'm getting to be an old, stupid man!

Thanks for the reply,

I am having the machine colllected for repair by ultimaker, they seem to not know what is wrong and we are clutching at straws. I tried factory reseting on various firmwares and it did not help. I did learn however that the printhead gets stuck in the front right corner sometimes .

Thanks,

David.

Edited by Guest

HI Guys,

I received my printer back from Ultimaker today. They did a fantastic job servicing it and everything came back lubricated and in perfect condition. They did apparently change they y,x and z axis limit switches. The offset printhead seems to still be there however. This makes mes believe it is a software 'quirk' that will hopefully be addressed in the near future. The printer prints beautifully right now so I am very pleased. The community and Ultimaker itself are fantastic for resolving problems and I will not hesitate to recommend them in the future. Thanks for all your help everyone.

David-Speedy

HI Guys,

I received my printer back from Ultimaker today. They did a fantastic job servicing it and everything came back lubricated and in perfect condition. They did apparently change they y,x and z axis limit switches. The offset printhead seems to still be there however. This makes mes believe it is a software 'quirk' that will hopefully be addressed in the near future. The printer prints beautifully right now so I am very pleased. The community and Ultimaker itself are fantastic for resolving problems and I will not hesitate to recommend them in the future. Thanks for all your help everyone.

David-Speedy

Glad to hear you are back up and running Speedy! :)

Did you receive any specific reply from Ultimaker support about the offset print head? Or did they say that is just how it is supposed to be? I guess if they changed the limit switches it shouldn't be a mechanical thing. I will have to check and see if the 2 Go I have access to does the same thing.

Hi Remy,

The Technician said all goes have the offset, it is normal. For my case he changed the z-limit switch, I didn't even notice it was broken, recalibrated the printer and unclogged the nozzle.

Speedy

Hi Remy,

The Technician said all goes have the offset, it is normal. For my case he changed the z-limit switch, I didn't even notice it was broken, recalibrated the printer and unclogged the nozzle.

Speedy

Awesome! Thanks for the info! :)