Better filament roll holder

jeex

Posted · Better filament roll holder

What the f... is the name of that black thing on the back of the UM2 that holds the filement?

Whatever it is, it is broken. The tiny thin thingy it hangs on just snapped.

Is there a better design for the filament-role-holder-thing? Or can i download the current design and improve it?

Posted (edited) · Better filament roll holder

Yes, spool holder. Thanks you both. The standard black thing is a bit flimsy. The whole weight hangs on a thin piece of plastic.

Edited by Guest

you can also look at a design that takes the spool off the back of the UM. this has the added advantages of not relying on the flimsy thin plastic bit holding it to the UM and you can get the filament into a better alignment with the extruder stepper motor. just look up universal filament stand.

Nice tip. Found some very nice designs.

First time I have heard one break there. I have put a lot of force by accident on mine and it never broke. Maybe your molding had a defect?

I did not print it myself. But in design it is by far the weakest spot of the thing. Very thin.

I now have a broom stick hanging one meter under the ceiling with all my rolls of PLA. I just grab the color I need and pull the wire down.

But still, i'm trying to find a more solid solution for this.

I had one printed laying around from the low friction spool holder I don't use anymore (use my rail system now, search "U2RS" on YouMagine.com) .

I may not be very strong :) but I can't break it even if I want to ... there is nothing 'flimsy' about this design IMHO.

I printed iRoberts design it is one of the best things I did. I have the original lying around if you want it

@bob-heppie Nice feeder. Will certainly try it.