Fan Scraping Sides

mike-truly

Posted · Fan Scraping Sides

My UM2 was printing fine yesterday but I had a bad print going so I aborted it. Today, I altered the print settings in Cura (latest version) and tried to print it again. I went to check on the print and no filament was being extruded so I aborted the print again.

There was a buildup of melted filament on the nozzle so I feel like I need to clean off the nozzle for starters. But before I do that... I notice that the fan on the left side of the print head (when viewed from the front of the UM2) is scraping the side wall a bit. There is a gouge in the sidewall and it has obviously been scraping for a while. I can see nothing loose anywhere on the UM2 that would cause this.

Any idea how to get the scraping to stop? It seems the print head is being allowed to go too far towards the left wall by the belt?

Thanks!

You'll see an endstop switch in the top left corner, the one mounted to the top plate of your printer. You can bent out the metal arm a little bit to solve this. Don't pull on the arm, but really bend, not to damage the switch.

Also check if your fans are still mounted firmly..

• 2 years later...

A mega-belated reply of thanks for this info!!

(Sorry for the delayed reply... I have been swamped with life & other projects and haven't been using my Ultimaker 2 for quite some time. Trying to get back into it now!).

I did very slightly adjust the stop switch but noticed that the fan shroud was slightly bent outward away from the nozzle. I bent this back into position to match the other side and now the scraping has been eliminated.

Thanks again.