Cura Connect | Survey Read more... ×
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
mendells

Screen/Input Freezing But Still Printing

One of our UM2s started acting up today. The screen will freeze soon after the print starts. The input wheel does nothing but the part is still printing fine. When the part is done printing it will retract a few mm but then stop. The screen is still frozen and the input still doesn't work. I have to power off and restart the printer to get things working again.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Edited by Guest

I am having a similar issue with my UM2+ running with the firmware that came with Cura 15.04.4 (will be updating to 15.04.5 once the print finishes). Did you ever figure out a fix for this issue?

Backstory:

I am running a 28-hour print (scaled up version of the included tetra-wire example model), the screen seems to have locked up around 13 hours left with a line through the top line of text (and part of the second line) like a strike-through. There is no response to the control wheel, either rotating or pressing. The print itself however is still chugging along, I just can't tweek any of the print settings on-the-fly now with the UI unresponsive.

Hi,

I'm also seeing this. I upgraded to 14.04.5 and I think I saw the issue then too, but I am not sure becasue I downgraded again on the advice of UM GB support due to a stepper motor issue.

I have seen this issue 3 times now in the last few days. I thought is was due to an overheating main board due to the steppers issue

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/21084-possible-motherboard-breakdown

Did Upgrading to 14.04.5 fix this for you?

Thanks,

Greg

Edited by Guest

Having the exact same issue. Screen and control knob freeze during print. The print finishes but the print head doesn't retract after finished job. Did a 2.1 firmware upgrade but no changes. Any kind of help considering this issue would be higly appreciated.

Sorry for the late response, I didn't get email notification. I ended up replacing my mainboard, and I also typically now run a separate fan across the underside of my UM2 because there was definite heat-staining on the MB around the stepper controllers. I can't say now whether that was responsible for fixing it, but I haven't seen the issue recently.

My Ultimaker 2+ started showing this exact symptom a couple of weeks ago.  At first I thought it was a firmware problem caused by static discharge, but after reloading the software the problem continued.  I eventually realized the problem occurs only when I put my new thermal cover on the machine for use when printing ABS (which does help the print quality immensely!).  Without the cover on for PLA printing, there was no problem.  

I had a spare Rotron blower that happened to fit under the printer, and blows through the main electronics enclosure.  It has printed several ABS parts for the last 40 hours or so with no further problems, so I think it was heat related and the fan fixed it.