Screen/Input Freezing But Still Printing

mendells

Posted (edited) · Screen/Input Freezing But Still Printing

One of our UM2s started acting up today. The screen will freeze soon after the print starts. The input wheel does nothing but the part is still printing fine. When the part is done printing it will retract a few mm but then stop. The screen is still frozen and the input still doesn't work. I have to power off and restart the printer to get things working again.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Edited by Guest

• 4 months later...
    Posted · Screen/Input Freezing But Still Printing

I am having a similar issue with my UM2+ running with the firmware that came with Cura 15.04.4 (will be updating to 15.04.5 once the print finishes). Did you ever figure out a fix for this issue?

Backstory:

I am running a 28-hour print (scaled up version of the included tetra-wire example model), the screen seems to have locked up around 13 hours left with a line through the top line of text (and part of the second line) like a strike-through. There is no response to the control wheel, either rotating or pressing. The print itself however is still chugging along, I just can't tweek any of the print settings on-the-fly now with the UI unresponsive.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I'm also seeing this. I upgraded to 14.04.5 and I think I saw the issue then too, but I am not sure becasue I downgraded again on the advice of UM GB support due to a stepper motor issue.

I have seen this issue 3 times now in the last few days. I thought is was due to an overheating main board due to the steppers issue

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/21084-possible-motherboard-breakdown

Did Upgrading to 14.04.5 fix this for you?

Thanks,

Greg

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...

Having the exact same issue. Screen and control knob freeze during print. The print finishes but the print head doesn't retract after finished job. Did a 2.1 firmware upgrade but no changes. Any kind of help considering this issue would be higly appreciated.

Having the exact same issue. Screen and control knob freeze during print. The print finishes but the print head doesn't retract after finished job. Did a 2.1 firmware upgrade but no changes. Any kind of help considering this issue would be higly appreciated.

Sorry for the late response, I didn't get email notification. I ended up replacing my mainboard, and I also typically now run a separate fan across the underside of my UM2 because there was definite heat-staining on the MB around the stepper controllers. I can't say now whether that was responsible for fixing it, but I haven't seen the issue recently.

My Ultimaker 2+ started showing this exact symptom a couple of weeks ago.  At first I thought it was a firmware problem caused by static discharge, but after reloading the software the problem continued.  I eventually realized the problem occurs only when I put my new thermal cover on the machine for use when printing ABS (which does help the print quality immensely!).  Without the cover on for PLA printing, there was no problem.  

I had a spare Rotron blower that happened to fit under the printer, and blows through the main electronics enclosure.  It has printed several ABS parts for the last 40 hours or so with no further problems, so I think it was heat related and the fan fixed it.

I've got a UM2ext+ and had the same freezes, used tinkergnome 16.08.1 and 16.08.2

Downgraded to tinker 16.03.1 and it never happend again for more than a month now

with several long prints (+ 24H prints )

So i stay on 16.03.1 for now

hey hey, our UM2 has just developed this error. often during a print the screen lock up with a couple of lines through it and the interface will stop working. when this happens the print will still _finish_ but the nozzle never retracts so it just sits melting wherever it stopped.

i’ve updated the firmware (a couple of times) and tried with new SD cards but the issue still occurs, and i haven’t found any useful way of getting data out about how/why.

my gut feeling is that it’s a hardware failure somewhere, but, i’m just wondering if anyone has worked out _what_ that is likely to be or been down this path already?

it doesn’t seem to be a reset, because you’d expect printing to stop and the ui to function again, so i’m wondering whether it could be a power supply issue / brown-out, but there’s also not much in the way of power circuitry on the board that you’d expect to go wrong and i’d kindof hope the firmware would detect that.

i’d much rather repair the existing mainboard than replace it if it’s possible, but, i’m grasping at straws at the moment as to _what_ would cause the problem.

So is this tinkerMarlin that is doing this?  Or Ultimaker Marlin?  This exact problem has been reported quite a bit for tinker Marlin but I"m not too surprised if it's in regular marlin also.

I recommend you go to tinkerMarlin version 16.01 and/or if you have tinkerMarlin (any version) it seems to crash less if you turn off "geek mode".

https://github.com/TinkerGnome/Ultimaker2Marlin/releases/

Scroll to the bottom and hit "next" to find 16.01.  Then click "assets".  16.01 with geek mode off seems to work really well.  Even with geek mode on it seems to crash less than all the newer versions.  There's a long discussion on this topic on github in tinkerMarlin in "issues".

hey thanks for the response!

i've been using ultimaker marlin (for it's previously excellent stability) for a couple of years prior to seeing these issues crop up. and i've factory reset and re-flashed the ultimaker version following the issue a bunch of times in the hope it was something weird.

do you think it's worth trying tinkerMarlin 16.01? i'm wondering whether i should revert the stock firmware back to something from 2016.

I recommend 16.01 even though, yes, it's from 2016.  Marlin for UM2 really hasn't changed much since the UM3 came out so 2016 is actually a quite good version.  You can always switch again.

A warning about moving *backwards* in versions - always do a factory reset after installing.

interesting, so i actually have a UM2+ (upgraded from UM2) which has the inverted feeder. i see in a bunch of comments you've suggested tinkergnome has an option to toggle axis inversion, but, i can't seem to find it or any reference to where it _should_ be?

(also, do ultimaker make old versions of _their_ firmware available anywhere? it seems like the GitHub repos were never updated and their software download section that's linked from everywhere else is now _gone_)

Edited by ryankurte

I have this phenomenon very occasionally in one of my two UM2s, not in the other. There is no clear indication why, although it is most often when playing around with the control-knob a lot. If I don't touch the knob, it doesn't happen. And it gets worse in very dry weather. So I don't know if this is a firmware-bug, electromagnetic spike issue (heater or steppers switching on or off, causing spikes), electrostatic discharge issue (like sparks in freezing weather), communication-issue between knob/display/mainboard, mainboard hardware, or a combination... The randomity makes me think it might be some EMC-issue interfering with the communication between mainboard, knob and display. But this is pure guessing...

It should be in "advanced" "preferences" "motion settings".  Last item in there.

I'm not sure if 16.01 has the invert axes, sorry.

I've also had good luck with any of the other versions of tinkerMarlin if I turn off geek mode.

On 5/27/2019 at 5:46 PM, gr5 said:

It should be in "advanced" "preferences" "motion settings".  Last item in there.

I'm not sure if 16.01 has the invert axes, sorry.

What firmware do you use yourself if i may ask

On 5/27/2019 at 1:04 PM, geert_2 said:

I have this phenomenon very occasionally in one of my two UM2s, not in the other. There is no clear indication why, although it is most often when playing around with the control-knob a lot. If I don't touch the knob, it doesn't happen. And it gets worse in very dry weather. So I don't know if this is a firmware-bug, electromagnetic spike issue (heater or steppers switching on or off, causing spikes), electrostatic discharge issue (like sparks in freezing weather), communication-issue between knob/display/mainboard, mainboard hardware, or a combination... The randomity makes me think it might be some EMC-issue interfering with the communication between mainboard, knob and display. But this is pure guessing...

Did you ever figure out the cause of this?  I have the same problem

My working theory is still that it is a subtle firmware bug.  It doesn't seem to happen if you disable geek mode.  My firmware versions:

17.02.1 (this printer doesn't get much use as it has the original black feeder still)

The second two printers get used every week.  They probably average 5 prints per week each usually things pile up and they are busy and then I do nothing on them for a week or so.

I have a 4th printer that I took out of geek mode because of the crashes but I don't use the ulticontroller for that printer anymore as I used that printer for experiments with a beagle bone black controller.  I wrote some custom firmware for that printer.

All 3 work fine for me but I have gotten the occasional crash where the display freezes but the printer keeps going.  I don't necessarily notice if it's the last print of the day and I turn off the printer without looking at the display.

I actually haven't noticed a problem (even in geek mode) in the last year.

No, I haven't figured out what it is. It is totally random, sometimes it immediately happens when starting to rotate the knob, sometimes after a lot of rotations (e.g. when manually dialing-up the temp from 0 to 200°C), sometimes not at all. It can happen in all menus where the dial has to be rotated. I don't see any logic in it.

But indeed, when the printer is printing when the display locks up, then it keeps printing. So it is not the main system that locks up. It is the display module or interface to it only, for whatever software- or hardware reason. The total randomness when rotating, makes me think it is a hardware thing, or interference thing, but not sure.

It happens only on one of my UM2, the other one is fine. Both are from the first UM2-series, non-plus, non-connect or whatever the newest versions are named. But there is a difference in firmware between both, and probably in hardware too:

1) The first one is okay (=firmware/hardware where the little nozzle-fan always runs). This is firmware version:_14.12.1 of date: 15 dec 2014, 15:03:28, printer serial nr.: UM2A91 -MES133705

2) The second one has the occasional display-lockup (=firmware/hardware where the little fan only runs when the nozzle is over 40°C). This is firmware version:_15.02.1 of date: 19 feb 2015, 09:59:45, printer serial nr.: UM2B56 MES133716

I don't know if I could  transplant the older firmware from the good one to the newer not-so-good one, because of the differences? Or where I could find each firmware version from that time, to experiment? But I have not really looked into it either, because it still prints, and I don't want to repair it until it is broken...  :-)

There is also a minor difference in printing quality. Maybe because the bed temp seems to be regulated differently, or the board layout is differently? In the second one, heating the bed seems to influence layer-thickness or nozzle temp or melt-viscosity a little bit, not dramatic but just barely visible, causing faint horizontal lines similar to when you dial the temp manually on the fly. Also not sure if this is hardware or firmware. My older printer does not have this.

Is  there somewhere a list of which printer versions or serial numbers have which hardware main boards? And which are the differences?

@gr5: I don't know what geek-mode is? Was that already on those old UM2 printers from late 2014 / early 2015? And if so, where could I find it? Or is that something on the newest printers only? I am only operating them with an SD-card, never tried via USB.

I also thought of adding ferrite rings around all cables, to reduce the chances of interference, but haven't done it yet. Could also be a weak power-supply, on the edge, causing glitches? As said, I am just guessing...  :-)

TinkerGnome has his own version of Marlin called "tinkermarlin" and it's wonderful and it has something called "geek mode" which is default and when you are printing it shows like 20 parameters on a single screen.  He crammed everything onto one tiny screen.  It has dozens of other wonder features like "continue failed print" and many more firmware settings that can be changed in the interface such as steps/mm and I think current for each axis and many many more.

https://github.com/TinkerGnome/Ultimaker2Marlin/releases

On 5/27/2019 at 5:04 PM, geert_2 said:

Anyone figure it out? still can't solve this issue.

@J_Wills - you should start over.  How many printers do you have.  How old.  Which ones have the problem.  What version of software.  Do you have tinkerMarlin or regular Marlin?  What is the symptom - does it give an error?  Does it power cycle (there are many cases where the printer power cycles in the middle of a print but if you aren't around it isn't obvious) and it just ends up on the normal startup screen?

The thing that most people are talking about here is where the screen freezes but the print continues just fine to the end so you just power cycle the printer after the print is complete.

On 10/7/2022 at 3:18 PM, gr5 said:

My working theory is still that it is a subtle firmware bug.  It doesn't seem to happen if you disable geek mode.  My firmware versions:

17.02.1 (this printer doesn't get much use as it has the original black feeder still)

The second two printers get used every week.  They probably average 5 prints per week each usually things pile up and they are busy and then I do nothing on them for a week or so.

I have a 4th printer that I took out of geek mode because of the crashes but I don't use the ulticontroller for that printer anymore as I used that printer for experiments with a beagle bone black controller.  I wrote some custom firmware for that printer.

All 3 work fine for me but I have gotten the occasional crash where the display freezes but the printer keeps going.  I don't necessarily notice if it's the last print of the day and I turn off the printer without looking at the display.

I actually haven't noticed a problem (even in geek mode) in the last year.

I have this problem on the latest official firmware, tinker 19.03.1, tinker 16.01, and I just discovered it happens with mainline marlin 2.1.1 (all tried on the same UM2)

So it's either a hardware issue, or it's a bug in  LCD code shared between all four of those.