Replacement feeder underextrusion

qmaker

Posted · Replacement feeder underextrusion

Hi,

I downloaded and printed "Yet Another Ultimaker 2 Feeder" It seems to be essentially the same body etc.. as roberts with the addition of the rollers to help straighten and direct the filament. Since I have put it on, my underextrusion is even worse. I am not blaming the design. There might be problems with the material I printed it in, or perhaps the tension adjustment. Could anyone tell me the best way to find the correct tension for the screw? I would like to get it working properly.

I have also read that some people have experienced issues of ABS finding its way up into the bowden tube and clogging the tip. I printed some of my parts in nylon. I hope this isn't my issue. I might revert back to the original design and reprint all the parts in PLA.

Has anyone experimented with ways to potentially warm and straighten the filament before it gets close to the feeder? I know that it wouldn't be good to get the filament to warm before, but maybe enough to relax it a bit so that when you get to the feeder the memory of the spool coil isn't as intense.

Posted (edited) · Replacement feeder underextrusion

Did you check any of the other (many different) causes that can make the printer underextrude?

http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/23-a-visual-ultimaker-troubleshooting-guide#underextrusion

Also mandatory reading:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/17040-um2-under-extrusion-problem#reply-115389

Btw @Sandervg the troubleshooting sticker was removed?

Edited by Guest

Yes I did. That is a great resource for printing issues. I was printing without issues with the original feeder right before I changed it, so I suspect the feeder change. Anyway, I took it all back apart and cleaned up any debris etc.. reset the tension on the feeder and took the reel off the back and set it on the floor. For now it seems to have fixed my issue. I think when it is on the reel holder on the back of the machine it is just too much.

Thanks,

• Like 1

I will search the site, but do you have any quick links to reel holders for the floor or otherwise that address this issue?

What about ideas to relax the filament a bit before it gets to the feeder?