Print out a vase

Nicolai

Posted · Print out a vase

Hello there

I`m new to 3d printing, this is my first post and question.

I`m trying to print a vase and a redwine glass out but I can`t get it waterproof.

The water is coming out of it dripping...

I use cura and I have a wanaho duplicator i3 printer.

My settings are:

solid fill bottom check ON

button thickness 2 mm

fill density 100%

shell thickness 0,8 (doubble the nozzle size right? nozzle = 0,4)

layer heght 0,05

Filament diameter 1,75 ( I`m wondering, maybe I didn`t adjust this one can that be the reason, or are

any of the above completly wrong.

What would your settings be if you would print something out with the intension of having water in it.

Thank you so much!

I really apprechiate your answers.

Best regards

Turn on the "spiralize" feature. This will make it do the double thickness that you want. Without that checked then it will do 2 passes with the .4mm nozzle but spiralize is designed to make water tight cups or vases. Also print slow - this is heavy over extrusion (.8mm trace out of a .4mm nozzle). Also .05 is a bit thin - the upper layers might not be able to nicely melt the layer below with such a thin coat. I recommend .1mm at least to see if that helps with water tight.

• Like 1

Joris makes lots of cups that are watertight - he is the expert so consider talking to him. I think he lives in Eindhoven or somewhere near Amsterdam. Anyway he prefers to use a larger nozzle I believe. A .6 or .8mm nozzle. His cups are quite light weight. But if he uses a smaller nozzle than .6 I think he over extrudes (sets shell to maybe .8mm or .6mm with a .4mm nozzle). This fills in all the cracks and makes it water tight.

• Like 1

Larger nozzles are nice for speed and thickness using spiralize, but not really needed to get it watertight. Just increase the flow to get it watertight (like 120-140%). also make sure to have plenty of bottom layers.

If you fail, just coat the inside with PVC glue to make it watertight..

• Like 1