ended Community Contest, part 6 | Don't trust atoms, they make up everything

GuyS

Posted (edited) · ended Community Contest, part 6 | Don't trust atoms, they make up everything

Hey everyone! I know, I know, this is usually 's job, but today I get to do the honors! Don't fret, we'll return to your regularly scheduled community manager soon ;).

The Olsson Block is currently a free gift with every new Ultimaker 2 and Ultimaker 2 Extended we sell, and during that time we're running these 3D printing contests so those of you who already own a printer also have a chance of receiving an Olsson Block! And not just any Olsson Block, this is the special edition set that we're giving away.

The special edition contains not just the regular set of nozzles that comes with the standard Olsson Block set, but also adds the big 1.0mm nozzle for super fast prints. So when you win you get:

• The Olsson Block itself
  • 0.25mm nozzle
  • 0.4mm nozzle
  • 0.6mm nozzle
  • 0.8mm nozzle
  • 1.0mm nozzle
  • and a screwdriver and socket to swap nozzles

CHALLENGE

A proton and a neutron walk into a bar. The proton says "I think I lost an electron. Help me look for it!" The neutron asks, "Are you sure?" The proton replies, "Yes, I'm positive."

Sorry, I can only tell really terrible chemistry jokes, because all the good ones Argon.

:p

You've probably guessed it - for this week's contest we're going really small. Atomically small. We want you to print molecules, as tiny as possible!

Grab excite's Molecule Construction Set here:

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/molecule-construction-set

Pick a molecule to create out of these atoms and start cracking to print it as small as you can. As always, the rule is that you have to print with an 0.4mm nozzle - apart from that, anything goes. Upload it in the Print section and show it off here! We'll choose a winner based on smallest size combined with print quality, but we do give major extra credit for picking more complex molecules and making them aesthetically pleasing. My H2O molecule, shown here as an example in a glass of H2O, is neither small nor complex so it's probably not a winner ;)

IMG_0550.thumb.JPG.d85170eb6d7a58378f33a7ef76189c13.JPG

The other rules of the contest are pretty simple. Please read them carefully.

RULES

• We know how you all love hacking and modifying, so we have only one guideline: it must be printed on an Ultimaker, with an 0.4mm nozzle. Besides that.. everything goes!
  • Entries must be uploaded in the Print section. (Fill out your settings if you want. The winner agrees to share his settings at the end of the week).
  • Share the link and a picture of your upload in this thread.
  • Everyone can participate in every contest, but you can only win once.
  • Photoshop is not allowed.
  • You can participate until Sunday midnight CEST.

EXTRA INFORMATION

• We'll choose a winner primarily based on size and print quality of the molecule - but complexity and aesthetics may sway our votes.
  • We will announce each weeks winner on Monday in the corresponding thread on our forum, on our Twitter feed and Instagram!

WHAT DO I NEED TO PRINT?

Grab excite's Molecule Construction Set here.

Upload your entry here.

And share your entry with us here below.

Can't wait to see your entries!

IMG_0550.thumb.JPG.d85170eb6d7a58378f33a7ef76189c13.JPG

Edited by SandervG
  • Like 2

Posted (edited) · ended Community Contest, part 6 | Don't trust atoms, they make up everything
A proton and a neutron walk into a bar. The proton says "I think I lost an electron. Help me look for it!" The neutron asks, "Are you sure?" The proton replies, "Yes, I'm positive."

Well, that's a sad story. And it becomes even more sad after a quarter of an hour. Because then the two separate. Why? Well, at least one famous community member from Sweden knows for sure...! Sorry that was off-topic... and not (hint: that community member is already mentioned in this thread)...;)

Edited by Guest

Hmm, there is also the version where two groups walk into a bar, ²H and his friend and ³H with a buddie, and together they go He He nn boom.

Anyway, I got myself a nice idea :D Now again the challenge, how small can I print it. Why always so small as possible :(

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Ok, I'm done, here's some ABS molecules :p

You stole my idea! I even had added a banana for scale :(

I'm sorry.. you didn't upload it in the Print section. This is not a valid entry :p

:(

Edited by Guest

Posted · ended Community Contest, part 6 | Don't trust atoms, they make up everything

It's pretty silent here - still no valid contribution?

The tinker-cave became a temporary maker-cave again and i had some fun today.

So - here is another non-competitive post.

Each "chocolate sphere" represents a carbon atom - and all together are building C3H6O - better knows as "acetone"

And i yet had a banana left... :p

DSCN0575B.JPG

• Like 3

Posted · ended Community Contest, part 6 | Don't trust atoms, they make up everything

Mine is coming tomorrow if all goes right, had some other stuff to attend this week.

Time to learn about stuff we use daily without knowing much about. Yeah it melts at certain temperatures, depending on the manufacturer, or has a certain glass temperature so the heated bed must be this hot. But what is PLA actually?

Well, PLA is Polylactic acid. Poly stands for many, so many actic acids, you'd say? Today Wikipedia told me it does not use correct Organic nomenclature, as defined by the IUPAC, as it is not a polyacid, but rather a polyester.

Instead of further citing Wikipedia, have a read yourself, it's quite interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polylactic_acid

As I hinted earlier, I wanted to print PLA! Not only with PLA, but also the PLA molecule. Or rather the a block of the chain. So PLA is a chain with many copies of the link I printed, as can be seen in the picture. As the picture explains, the green are the Hydrogen atoms, grey are the oxygen atoms and blue are the carbon atoms, sadly I didn't have enough time to print that with colorfabb Carbonfill :(

DSC_4669.thumb.jpg.601eaa6b9a33589755fb3ca3d983b803.jpg

Link: https://ultimaker.com/en/community/prints/1953-community-contest-part-6-don-t-trust-atoms-they-make-up-everything

DSC_4669.thumb.jpg.601eaa6b9a33589755fb3ca3d983b803.jpg

Edited by Guest
    • Like 3

Without the element of surprise on my side, I have the honours to announce this weeks winner..

Congratulations

@Titus

We all loved your entry in the office, your original idea and the effort you put in it and the fact we all learned something :D (I'll certainly read up to the wiki-page).

I'll DM you in regard of your prize!

Next week.

Next week is going to be the last contest. :O

For this reason and the due to the holidays in between we are extending this contest until January 4th! It is going to be a creative contest, so I think the extra week and creative juices during the holiday should get the entries to an unmatched level!

:D It's a shame there weren't more entries :( Would have liked to see what molecules other people like, I was figuring people would go for coffee with sugar or dopamine and such :p

@tinkergnome I wonder what settings you printed with. Again 0.1mm layer height and 30mm/s. I couldn't get the letters to print nicely. I did avoid melting the hydrogen atoms by printing 4 at a time in each corner of the bed, and cool head lift. Next time I would try and print colder, to reduce stringing.

I did however by accident got the pause to work, there's a slightly underextruded layer somewhere because I had left the setting on.

@SandervG, I really like these contests, both to get creative and learn stuff :)

• Like 1

@Titus: Congratulation - it's well deserved - you were the only one who doesn't dreaded the effort!

:D It's a shame there weren't more entries :(Would have liked to see what molecules other people like, I was figuring people would go for coffee with sugar or dopamine and such :p

I assume it's a combination of

Why always so small as possible :(

and

...had some other stuff to attend this week.

72_EmoticonsHDcom.png

@tinkergnome I wonder what settings you printed with. Again 0.1mm layer height and 30mm/s. I couldn't get the letters to print nicely. I did avoid melting the hydrogen atoms by printing 4 at a time in each corner of the bed, and cool head lift. Next time I would try and print colder, to reduce stringing.

Indeed... 0.1mm layer height, the basic speed was 35mm/s but reduced to 85% for the outlines, 20% infill (*), PLA 198°C.

Another important detail for small stuff is probably: minimal layer time 12 seconds, this reduced the speed for the top layers down to 8mm/s (approx.),

and enough cooling..., hydrogen was printed with 8 pieces at a time and 2 or 3 at a time for the bigger ones.

(*) i have a suspicion, that the infill percentage is not exactly comparable between Cura and Simplify3D, but perhaps this is only my personal impression...

hydrogen.PNG

Regarding the letters:

I didn't scaled the provided STL files, but changed the parameters in the scad file and generated new ones.

The "hydrogenDiameter" was set to 11 for my example. And i changed the size of the text to 4 (take a look at line 97 of the scad file - if you're interested)

I don't know if this would break the rules of the contest - but it's a construction set, isn't it?

(and it doesn't matter in my case)

Let's see what comes next...

@tinkergnome: I agree with your theory about why there were not more participants. Personally, I think people are a bit tired of printing small. But next contest will be about creativity again; I'm sure we will see many more contributions.

If UM is going to continue these contests (who said coffee mug?), then maybe it could be an idea to start with a story (as the UM website is very strongly about stories) and to develop that story by 3D prints. And every week or so, UM decides which way the story should take, from the contributions...

Indeed... 0.1mm layer height, the basic speed was 35mm/s but reduced to 85% for the outlines, 20% infill (*), PLA 198°C.

Ah! That could be something, reduce speed for outlines to create a smoother outer layer! Must experiment with that one day.

Another important detail for small stuff is probably: minimal layer time 12 seconds, this reduced the speed for the top layers down to 8mm/s (approx.),

Hm, minimal layer time makes the speed go slower, but doesn't that kill the quality as the nozzle "stays in the same spot so long" due to the slow speed?

Regarding the letters:

I didn't scaled the provided STL files, but changed the parameters in the scad file and generated new ones.

The "hydrogenDiameter" was set to 11 for my example. And i changed the size of the text to 4 (take a look at line 97 of the scad file - if you're interested)

I don't know if this would break the rules of the contest - but it's a construction set, isn't it?

(and it doesn't matter in my case)

Damn, that's cool! And might have been breaking the rules, but then again, it shows you that if you do want to print something, you can do so many things to make it work!

@tinkergnome: I agree with your theory about why there were not more participants. Personally, I think people are a bit tired of printing small. But next contest will be about creativity again; I'm sure we will see many more contributions.

If UM is going to continue these contests (who said coffee mug?), then maybe it could be an idea to start with a story (as the UM website is very strongly about stories) and to develop that story by 3D prints. And every week or so, UM decides which way the story should take, from the contributions...

Yeah, I tend to agree there. Although I'm learning to print smaller, it is still damned hard!

Hm, minimal layer time makes the speed go slower, but doesn't that kill the quality as the nozzle "stays in the same spot so long" due to the slow speed?

Not in my experience, the fan speed is increased as well. I can only speak about an UM2 with Olsson block - 8mm/s at 200°C for PLA seems to work fine.

I think you're right - if in doubt - there are so many parameters to explore...

I'm running 100% fan always, so I guess that's still the problem. UMO fan's are lacking?