NinjaFlex - is it worth it?

kmulhollq

Posted · NinjaFlex - is it worth it?

Hey everyone,

So im thinking of buying a roll of ninja flex to try some different styles of printing. They dont really recommend using the filament on a bowden style printer but I dont tend to let stuff like that deter me.

So im wondering before I make the purchase is it worth it or will I end up having to do endless tweaks for shitty resuts?

Also, what are the finished products like? Im hoping it finishes sort of grippy so it could be used as feet or as a corner protector if you know what I mean.....

Posted (edited) · NinjaFlex - is it worth it?

You can do it. I printed it on a stock UMO+. It's kinda like a wet noddle inside the tube. but it somehow works. You need to slow it down to about 20mm/s however. And it feels like you're printing with nozzle ooze. but it works.

Here's a Mic Shim I made for an FS7

McShim-01.jpg

McShim-03-1024x683.jpg

And a bency (middle)

Benchy-1024x683.jpg

The others are woodfill and bronzefill.

The finished texture is like a slightly pourous rubber. I could be under extruding or going a little too fast however so mine has a bit more air gaps than normal.

You can use this to your advantage though. If you purposefully under extrude you get an even softer shape. It's also quite strong, it stretches a decent amount and difficult to rip.

Most people recommend Rober's extruder if you plan to print on a UM2.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

You can do it. I printed it on a stock UMO+. It's kinda like a wet noddle inside the tube. but it somehow works. You need to slow it down to about 20mm/s however. And it feels like you're printing with nozzle ooze. but it works.

Here's a Mic Shim I made for an FS7

McShim-01.jpg

McShim-03-1024x683.jpg

And a bency (middle)

Benchy-1024x683.jpg

The others are woodfill and bronzefill.

The finished texture is like a slightly pourous rubber. I could be under extruding or going a little too fast however so mine has a bit more air gaps than normal.

You can use this to your advantage though. If you purposefully under extrude you get an even softer shape. It's also quite strong, it stretches a decent amount and difficult to rip.

Most people recommend Rober's extruder if you plan to print on a UM2.

Thanks Valcrow, think I'll give it a shot. What's the worst that could happen

I did not print any myself (though I've had a roll lying around for ages)... I've seen alot of fine results though, also from Bowden printers... I saw a video recommending a bit of oil in the Bowden and +1 on the low speed...

Thanks Valcrow, think I'll give it a shot. What's the worst that could happen

Really annoying clogs. When it does clog it's not quite as easy to clear as normal PLA because of it's stretchy nature.

Maybe ask around and see if you can get a few meters from someone to test with?

Prepare to spend a lot of time tweaking settings. Also, using the stock feeder is a crap shoot, it could work if you're lucky or it might not.

Maybe ask around and see if you can get a few meters from someone to test with?

Prepare to spend a lot of time tweaking settings. Also, using the stock feeder is a crap shoot, it could work if you're lucky or it might not.

Thanks Robert,

Fortunately I am not paying for material out of my own pocket so cost isn't really an issue but time is...

I'm going to buy a role but most likely I will be back on here asking about optimal settings. Someone did mention that your feeder is best suited to this material so I will probably print this first.

Do you have a few revs of your feeder or is there just one design on youmagine?

Well, the main folder where I keep my work on the feeder has 191 files and 21 folders :p

But yeah, there's basically one version on youmagine. Personally I prefer the body that uses a piece of bowden tube rather than the one that uses the grommet from the original feeder (but people kept asking for that version so...). For the yoke length I go with the 38mm one.

• Like 1