Community Contest, let's hear it!

SandervG

Posted · Community Contest, let's hear it!

Hi @Peetersm, I was patiently waiting for the extrusion upgrade to become available and have a few ready as a prize :)

It shouldn't be long now!

When those are over, I'm planning on continuing the 'regular' contests on a frequent bases.

Nooo @SandervG :p Will there be an UMO(+) type of prize too ;)

Posted (edited) · Community Contest, let's hear it!

I have a few ideas, but they might require a little thinkering.

-Hm, those new couplers are UM2 only right? Otherwise you could make like a little bundle with Olsson nozzles(they fit in UMO right?) and a coupler.

-Let people create their own spare part package, like pick 2/3 out of: nozzles, bowden, glass,sensor.

-Also, lately I've seen a lot of people wanting to go dual fan on UMO(+). Perhaps a fan package with mount/design to print. Can be either another stock fan with the right cables to plug in two + mount. Or if you want to go fancy use those UM2 fans(not sure about voltage/power), with a new fan shroud?

-I've seen people also interested in the silent chop drop in replacements for more silent printing.

Especially the last two are fueled from my own wishes :p But I'm serious about the idea. If I'm interested, more people are, perhaps with a little market research, some R&D, you can create some fancy upgrade love me, feed me, never leave me packages for UMOs? Just like the extruder upgrade for UM2.

New from Ultimaker:

-Print extra details with the improved dual fan kit! Available Q2 2016 for just €XX

-Want to work next to your printer? Make it super stealthy and release the printing ninja in you, stepper driver upgrade for €XX, coming Q2 2016

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Hi @Peetersm, I was patiently waiting for the extrusion upgrade to become available and have a few ready as a prize :)

When those are over, I'm planning on continuing the 'regular' contests on a frequent bases.

Nooo @SandervG :PWill there be an UMO(+) type of prize too ;)

just take the challenge to use the upgrade kit on your umo :)

UMO feeder is sufficient right, UM2s wasn't always. I think that is the most important part of th upgrade kit, together with Olsson block, which is also not really needed on UMO.

Only the fan shroud could be hacked, but given the difference sizes of the hot ends, that will be really tricky.

I'll give the dual fan pack-prize some more thought. That might sound realistic and fun.

Adding it to the store is actually a lot(tttttt) of work so I'm not sure if that is real, because as for an alternative you can just buy a second fan and get your hands on a fan shroud.

What do you/people usually do to make it silent?

Didn't you read my previous post? there is nothing to wait for! Let me refresh your memory. ;)

HEY don't you have a butt load of UM2s stilling around looking like the proverbial ugly step-child? I'ld take one of those for a prize.

I'm serious what are you going to do with the back log of UM2 when everyone wants the UM2+

plus you've already set a precedent by giving away an UM2 for the ornament challenge.

How about a custom support modelling contest? Where you get a really difficult to print model and have to design, mesh mixer, or tweak cura settings in order to obtain the best results.

Support is something that I see every printer still struggling with (and Cura too) A lot of the times I still end up creating my own supports to ensure a good clean break/print. And it would be quite informative to see what other people are doing to combat difficult prints.

Winner goes to the one that can produce the cleanest print with the least amount of support material. And you can include everyone into the mix, people who model, who use mesh mixer, or even just cura.

an example:

IMG_20140525_033617.jpg

IMG_20140525_033825-1024x576.jpg

• Like 1

Very cool idea, but kinda hard to judge I think?

Maybe weighing the support material to determine on the amount and judge the surface quality.Or weigh the complete model, and the model without support, maybe that would be better.. Of course I know we are all honest chaps right? ;)

You could just do it through cura filament calculations. I think you would choose the model, pre-slice to determine it's weight and you're not allowed to mess with the base model, only add exterior supports.

Then you could just subtract the total print weight from the cura estimation with the contestant's version.

I don't think it would be unreasonable to ask for model files to do a quick slice in this case since there are no IP or models to protect since you're providing/choosing it.

Maybe also add a criteria in there of how easy/hard it is to remove the support :D

As observed for the competitions was incredibly interesting and taught a lot even without direct participation, I will insert my 5 cents: in addition to pleasure from the fact of competition, it must have functional load. What is the meaning of the idea: some problem/task that can theoretically be solved using 3D printing. Set arbitrarily in detail (more is better), and the participants offer their own versions of the implementation. Thus for a fairly large period of the contest (a month or more) it is possible to solve quite complex problems that can improve real life, and thus will be of interest not only fans of 3D printing, and many others. And this is the second (besides fun) is an important part of any competition is to attract attention to the issue.

• Like 1

+1 for regular contests.

I don't think prizes need to be super high value, but I do think that they should be UM related. I am all for swag (mugs, t-shirts, stickers, bags) - basically everything that looks stylish, has a purpose and accommodates an Ultimaker logo :).

As for themes, I'd keep the entry barrier low too. The learning aspect is important and sharing the gcode/settings/whatever would be very cool because everyone would be able to print the winning entry.

You could let the community decide who wins by counting the number of likes/hearts. And letting the winner decide upon the next theme is a great idea.

• Like 1

Olsson block will not work on the UMO. However the nozzles work great - but the existing fan shroud is too low (the nozzles are shorter so fan shroud will hit the bed). There are some great printable fan shrouds for the UMO specifically designed to work with the E3D style nozzles (olsson block uses E3D style nozzles) which I can link you to if interested.

Olsson won't work indeed. Unless you change the whole hotend to be um2. A printed part to change the top for umo/umo+. UMO since the heat sensor it's 3mm like pt100 it should fit but it would work better using the pt100 board from e3d and on umo+ it would be just plug and print. Using the um2+ upgrade could be really easy to install for any small modder.

Also the most interesting part of doing all this trouble (for me) it's that anders olsson did some test and was able to print (using i2k) at 290C for short time (6h) without any dmg on the coupler. Also I'm making a ptfe coupler on aluminium with an ptfe liner (with the permission of anders since this was his idea) and that would make renewing the coupler a matter of cents (if works).

Edited by Guest
    • Like 2

I'd be interested in creative contests, because as a fairly new user I'm still mucking about learning. I like the idea or prizes everyone can use.. Filament, nozzle sets, t shirts, or a 3d printed award for "bragging rights".

I haven't really seen more than 1 UM2+ add on contest entries.. were there several?

It might be good to offer alternate prize options as well.. a UM2+ owner probably won't have a use for a upgrade kit, but could use filament.

It might be interesting to start with a base model, and see what changes people can make of it as a contest.. kind of like what I did with the gCreate rocket I did.

Have you seen our latest contest?

Edited by Guest

When this contest is over we will continue hosting other contests in the same collaboration categorie. Topics will vary and so will prizes. The main idea is to keep it fun and educational.

Nope, Hadn't seen it yet. I'll go look though! ;)

EDIT: I've got a Um2+ Extended...the prize wouldn't do me any good unless something on mine breaks that isn't covered by the warranty. (Knock wood!)

Edited by Guest

Participating would still be fun and potentially educational / inspiring.

Spare parts are always nice or you could make yourself the most popular guy on the forum and give it to someone who needs it ;)