Texture of Faberdashery Glowbug filament

rlolley

Posted · Texture of Faberdashery Glowbug filament

Just got my Faberdashery Glowbug Yellow filament, It has a rough texture and I was wondering if anyone can confirm that this is normal. Looks Like it would be hard on the Bowden tube. I searched the whole inter-web and couldn't find any good pictures or comments about the surface texture of this filament. I did see a few posts in here about printing with it, but nothing regarding this question.

I turned my Xbox 360 Kinect into a scanner. I scanned and printed myself (that's me in my avatar), now everybody wants one too, so I'm looking forward to making them with "Glowbug"

Thanks,

Robert

I didn't use it myself, but beware that the glow fill is VERY abrasive. It can wear down your nozzle real fast. I hope you already have an Olsson Block so you can change nozzles or you have a spare printhead. That's what I've read.... So this would explain the rough texture.

Yes, that's normal. IIRC it's because of the high concentration of pigments.

It IS more abrasive than "normal" filament. So if you print with it a lot it will wear down your nozzle a bit.

Posted (edited) · Texture of Faberdashery Glowbug filament

Glowbug or Glowfill is abrasive because is contains strontium aluminate.

But IMHO it is not *that* dangerous. I printed approx 2 spools of it (Glowfill) and changed the 3D solex brass nozzle only one time.

The surface is a little bit rougher compared to other materials. Printing 3 or more shells is a good idea to get objects that glow for a longer time than object with only 2 shells.

hth

Edited by Guest

Thanks, that's the info I was looking for. I couldn't find this information anywhere, at least now when someone does a search on this subject they will find the answer here. I knew I could count on you guys, once again the Ultimaker community has the answer.

Thanks again,

Robert

• Like 1