How to remove the Support material after printed at Ultimaker?

Yohanes

Posted (edited) · How to remove the Support material after printed at Ultimaker?

Please Tell me about, How to remove the support material after printed at Ultimaker?

Or How to setup the 3d Print so that we can easy to remove the support material?

Thank you for your attention.

Edited by Guest

Posted · How to remove the Support material after printed at Ultimaker?

I tend to split models with Cura, using the sink into bed-plate option.

Have had great success with this. And the gluing is not as painful as you'd think it would be.

I've had pro companies more than happy with parts printed that they use as end products. Very satisfying.

It's all about splitting it correctly which comes with practice. Luckily I have what I consider as an expert to fall back on, but then we all do with this forum so..........:)

I recently used Cura supports, with 15.04.02, and I was pleasantly surprised at how much better they were compared with about a year or so ago. The support just easily pulled way from the model with no significant damage to the model; I was happy with the result, no filing or anything like that. I just used the standard settings already in the Cura expert settings.

• Like 1

Yeah Cura support is good. Easily pulls away in certain sections.

Also Meshmixer support is good. Like torpedo shaped supports that have a very small surface area touching the model.

Had to get someone to design them for me as I'm clueless on the design packages...for now.

Posted (edited) · How to remove the Support material after printed at Ultimaker?

That is interesting @Franny500, I had found the Meshmixer supports, although better than Cura at the time, to be difficult to remove, i.e. I had to use a hobby knife. I guess I need to have a close look at my settings the next time I use it Can you share what yours were?

Edited by Guest

Unfortuantely It wasn't me who designed the support.

I too had to use a knife to remove, and to be honest, it was on a very small piece, so in the end the Ultimaker support turned out better for that application.

But the reason I thought it was good was if it was used on a larger print, or a print with curves and tough overhangs, the meshmixer supports may do a better job because of the pointy shape.

Could be totally wrong however. :p

I don't like support. I don't use it. usually I can rotate the model or add just a few supports in CAD. Cutting the model in half is great too.

• Like 1

I tend to avoid supports as well, but if I have no choice I plan the model very carefully to minimize the amount of support needed.

To remove supports, I use jewellery pliers, a craft knife and my fingers! Lately I have been using slic3r exclusively, and it offers really great control over supports, and some impressive results if tweaked carefully. It has many options for support than Cura does.

Bit of a pain to setup, mind you, and it is far less stable than Cura, and takes aaaaaaggggeees on high poly models compared to Cura.