CURA version confusion

2go

Posted · CURA version confusion

Hello,

since purchasing um2go a month ago I've been using Version: 15.04.03 (for OSX) (did not update to Version: 15.04.4 because 'Reset profile to default' option was missing and I use that quite a lot).

Now I stumbled upon Cura 1.99 (Cura-1.99.0-dev.20151112-Darwin.dmg) which is a completely different beast.

Now could someone please explain me these version naming schemes. Also which version will be developed from now on? I'm a bit confused :) Thanks!

cura 1.99 is a beta-version of the new iteration of cura. You can use it if you want but be aware that there might be bugs. There are also a few features missing currently that are present in "legacy" cura. I'd say try it out and see how it works in your work flow.

cura 15.x will get maintenance updates if anything and will not be developed further. Some slight changes were made for the Ultimaker 2+ launch for example but nothing major.

• Like 1

Yes, that was clumsy of me to not mention that they are being added in. I also forgot to add that the new cura has quite a few new features that are not present in legacy cura.

When will the new cura support Ultimaker 2+? Version 1.99.0-dev.20151117 does not have it in the "add a new machine" list.

Just add a standard UM2 Extended, it should work fine. They're basically the same machine.

You can add in a "Line width" setting to adjust for different nozzles. Click the little gear icon that shows up when you hover over the "Quality" bar to add it in (you need to be in advanced mode for this).

When will the new cura support Ultimaker 2+? Version 1.99.0-dev.20151117 does not have it in the "add a new machine" list.

I've already added them to the github repo. See:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/commit/414be1f8519fc0fe208bebc71cc0c067325c7919

I've already added them to the github repo. See:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/commit/414be1f8519fc0fe208bebc71cc0c067325c7919

How do you add these additions into the beta version?

Copy the files into the machines folder.

• Like 1

Thanks!

Copy the files into the machines folder.

Ah, great - thanks a lot!

Still confused, not counting beta releases can someone explain the version numbers that identify where the new Cura begins and where the old Cura was at the time new Cura was released . Is the old Cura still getting updates? do they get updated version numbers? When the new Cura was released it was missing too many features on the Mac version and the PC version wouldn't install at all for me so I have been using the old version. I would like to check in to see if any progress has been made but I don't understand the version designations.

I would wait a little more... there should be a new "closed beta" in the next week or 2.

Think the new number will be 2.1

Anything like 15.xx is old Cura (15 being the year), there have only been a few changes to it lately, but no real updates. Some changes where no improvement, f.e. the default infill speed is to high.

I dont know the logic behind the new numbering, but I think they plan to do sort of a fixed quarterly release schedule. Looking at the first release (and pull back) during summer 2015 the new Cura is seriously behind schedule, but I'm looking forward to the new beta, hopefully most issues are solved now....

Originally we went with a year.month.version for the release numbering. At one point we decided to pretty much re-do everything we had to make it more feature proof.

The latest 'old' cura is 15.04. The first 'new' cura was released as 15.06. This caused quite a bit of confusion, as the distinction wasn't clear enough. This is why we switched to a major.minor versioning system. The upcoming release is the 2.1 release.