anyone tried to mount olson block on ultimaker original plus?

Posted · anyone tried to mount olson block on ultimaker original plus?

now that i have started to get god with my 3dprinter i would like to experiment with nozzle size

and was wondering if anyone have tried to mount a olson block on a ultimaker original?

i know i can switch to the printerhead but i wanted to keep it as stock as possible as i like the design and don't want to mess with firmware if i have to do that to fit a e3d hotend on my umoplus

was hoping someone have found a way to mount a olson block to the ultimaker original?

as i like that the olson block is so simple :)

I could be wrong but you do not need to make any changes at all

With the UMO and UMO+ you can easily trade nozzles. I just bought a hardened nozzle to begin testing ColorFabb XT-CF20 Carbon Fiber material.

thx for answering :)

i don't know either

ah i have never needed to change the nozzle on my machine yet so i really didnt know that :O

have run my machine about 50 houres and never one clog :D so think i have been lucky soo far :)

any links to where i can buy diffrent size nozzles for the UMO+

and hardened nozzles?

To go um2 on umo+ you need

A full um2 hotend (fans, cables, etc, aluminium, and a printed top like the one meduza did some weeks ago (google))

A new heater (get a 35w fron 3dsolex). Umo+ heaters it's 6mm dia and um2 uses 4mm.

Also unless you get the new fan shroud (not available yet) you will need a new fan cap for the olsson block.

So... Get ready to drain the wallet. I'm doing that on one of my umo+. I would wait for the [plus] pack from um (the one that will make um2 a um2+) and then I would get all the missing parts. This way you get the extruder, new fan cap and olsson.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · anyone tried to mount olson block on ultimaker original plus?

I've put an UM2 Head on a UMO+ with the Olsson block ofc. The only "problem"  i've encountered is that the head is rotated 90 degrees. (Height of the X and Y axis is switched) This can be fixed to turn the alu part 90 degrees back.

This drops the option for possible dual extrusion, since there is only 1 hole going through the whole head for the filament, ptfe, nozzle etc.

Edited by Guest

What is the big benefit with switching an UMO+ to use a UM2 printhead with the Olsson block, except maybe some lower weight and slightly better heat resistance? You can already switch nozzles so there is no benefit there.

I was self sourcing an UMO+, so i had the choice and i really liked the small size of the UM2 head and the dual fans.

Edited by Guest

@nilrog my main reason post

Edited by Guest

Ok, interresting. I have to look into how the UMO+ hotend looks like. I haven't yet assembled mine so i'm just collecting info on possible future upgrades. GT2 being the first one planned once it is up and running in original configuration so I can print the necessary parts for that conversion.

Btw, the link was corrupt...possibly by the forum software. All the ampersands were converted to their HTML representation.

neotko, forgot to say thanks for linking to that forum...didn't know about it and there is a lot of good stuff there :)

• Like 1

@nilrog true, fixed the link

thanks for the response :)

okey i will wait until the um2 plus upgrade comes out :)

i really like the fan shrouds on the ultimaker 2 and it seems like there is a lot more fan shrouds for the ultimaker 2 :)