Colorfabb HT co-polyester - why another one?

Posted · Colorfabb HT co-polyester - why another one?

Today, @colorfabb anounced their new material HT:

http://ht.colorfabb.com/

It's another co-polyester with high glass temperature (100°C). While this is interesting it leads to the question how many slightly different materials we will see from Colorfabb. Will they continue all of them? While such a variety of compounds might be interesting for more professional work, it might confuse consumers.

What do you think about another new material? Do we have some beta testers among us which could shed some light on the new material and tell us how it differs from NGEN and XT apart from the glass temperature?

• Like 2

Posted (edited) · Colorfabb HT co-polyester - why another one?

Well I guess the why is simple, XT and Ngen are not resistant against high temps, XT is 75c, Ngen = 85c, the new stuff is 100c.

My main question, what is the printing temperature needed? will it have decent layer adhesion (I gave up on XT because of layer adhesion issues). I still did not print enough with nGen to say much about it. The amount of shrinking is also interesting to know if it can become a ABS killer ....

Obviously a side to side test vs biofilla pla-tec is pretty interesting...

Edited by Guest

Yeah I don't get why the now have 3. I would have thought that colorfabb would have killed of XT.

Some comparative tests would be nice and or a proper usage chart to show what to select for different applications. But it does say this info is coming soon.

Colorfabb only yesterday send my prize spools. would have been nice to have been able to choose some of this as part of it, but maybe I will have to buy some :(

Colorfabb twitter reply.... imho the needed print temp is dissapointing but let's wait concluding anything until someone tried it...

-----

it's between 250c and 280c. On @Ultimaker 2+ good processability already at 260C. More specifics to come on the availability.

----

hmm that's quite high. 100deg resistance could be worth it though. Especially if it doesn't stink my small unit out like ABS does. Layer adhesion is the next big question.

the surface quality doesn't look anywhere as good as nGen. so maybe that's a separator

From the newsletter it seem like they are only in Black, White, Grays and Clear? I hope that more info will be available, I really want something else than ABS.

From the newsletter it seem like they are only in Black, White, Grays and Clear? I hope that more info will be available, I really want something else than ABS.

you can also have a look at biofila pla-tec.

Posted (edited) · Colorfabb HT co-polyester - why another one?

I think we have reached the point where manufacturers will now continue to flood the market with as many new filaments as they can... with their main aim being market domination rather than giving a 'hoot' about us... I'd go as far to say that it's now very definitely down to us to give each other detailed function vs form type feedback on this forum regarding all the different filaments. A standardized reporting format and section for each manufacturer and each new filament might be a good idea rather than multiple threads all asking the same questions? You can now also count on the manufacturers holding back on certain developments so that they can sell out the products they have already made... shame... but was always going to happen.

Good question by the way Dim3nsioneer!

Edited by Guest