Firmware Update without Cura

mikehddd

Posted · Firmware Update without Cura

Hi All,

Is there anyway to update the firmware without Cura installed. I use Simplify 3D to run my UM2 Extended + and do not even have Cura installed. I have only had the printer for a week so have not been through the firmware update before.

Thanks.

First rule of 3d printers. If it works, don't touch.

Download cura for firmware update, it's free. You can upload custom firmwares like tinkergnome (google) version that adds more expert options.

Cura is a very fast, light weight install. It's not a big deal. The first time allow it to install the arduino driver which does actually take a bit longer but from then on always cancel the arduino driver install.

Oh and I went 2 years without an upgrade because the bugs that existed were not a big deal. The better upgrade is to go to the tinkergnome version of marlin - very nice marlin! I strongly recommend it - for example it has a feature "continue failed print...". Lifesaver feature. And available now for PLUS ultimakers.

https://github.com/TinkerGnome/Ultimaker2Marlin/releases

I'd be surprised if they took that feature away so: "almost certainly yes".

Just checked in beta 2.1.99 of 11/03 (not the latest, thats from 18/03 but i don't have it on the pc i'm at atm)

Firmware update does not work at all, I tried, assuming to be able to cancel out, just to check if the custom option was there, but I immediately got a firmware upload complete, with no warning or selection options.

So it's not there, but I assume that it will probably make it back, i'll check again later in the 18/03 version and then report in the beta testing tool.