Phone 3d printer for $99

Titus

Posted · Phone 3d printer for $99

Pretty cool as a toy! Less useful due to build platform restrictions. Given the fact that there is little machinery I can understand the price point. I wonder how much resin it uses and how expensive that is. It is still super cool, check it out:

But yeah, semi skeptical.

Their plan to make money must be relying on resin sales. With my phone being incapacitated for the time of a print, I'd probably feel a need to have a second phone. Would that maybe quadruple the cost of this device?

• Like 1

Good idea, but yes, i imagine the resins being expensive, and no mention of resolution, and time, and durability of the prints. Proprietary materials are bad, its a gimmick untill others produce compatible materials. You dont want to be stuck with a useless thing after, but for 99bucks at least its cheap. Considering the iphone has the worst resolution of all premium phones on the market its a bit silly to use one in the demo, unless they are also pushing the apple brand, but whos knows it may not matter. Id be interested in actually seeing the end results first hand before id even touch this. i imagine everything in the video being staged and not the actual prints.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Phone 3d printer for $99

Yeah there's a bunch of things that bug me about this.

-Their resins come in clear bottles. Photosensitive resins! in clear bottles! ok fine, it's just marketing right now, but that's a little unrepresentative.

-They handle and wash their prints without gloves in a kitchen sink. Liquid resins washed in a place where you make food is not such a good idea since it's toxic.

-Not using gloves is also quite irresponsible marketing.

I've used the daylight resins before, I assume it's similar since that worked on LCD screens as well. They don't cure well, after a week, the prints are still tacky :/ Perhaps it's a different resin, or they will have it solved on launch. But until we see first hand, I remain skeptical.

Cleanup remains the most daunting part of owning SLA/DLP machines, and this is going to be a doozie to use.

The one major thing it has going for it however is using the phone screens. Since smartphone screens have amazing DPI compared to most tech you could theoretically get some really detailed prints if everything else works as advertised.

I'd put this in my list of interesting KS projects that have great misleading marketing videos. I will certainly be interested if it becomes a real thing, but never before.

Edited by Guest

Yeah, many people voiced these concerns, and their FAQ also is quite short about some things like the clear bottle(demonstration purpose, will be black bottle), etc etc.

I think it would be a super cool product if it was relatively fast(we all want to keep using our smartphone) and safe(uhm yeah), and easy and cheap. Guessing it isn't I wouldn't bet my money on it.

Posted (edited) · Phone 3d printer for $99

For 99bucks, well if its as good as it looks, then thats the formlabs out of business for jewellery makers. But time will tell. They definitely have enough money raised to iron out many problems. Many people spend that on a night out anyways so i may get one out of curiosity, if it doesnt work well enough for me, then i suppose i could always give it to a relatives son, and they would love it.

But, dont believe everything you read. Some of it is bound to be hype, but if its even half as good as they say, then it worth a punt. I saw they are already doing tablet ones so thats covered i guess.

but the costs of a tiny bottle of resin, was that stated anywhere, cos I didnt see it?

Edited by Guest

Actually, all the issues mentioned in this thread so far have been addressed on their Kickstarter page. For $100, I'm in.

That's pretty brave of you. They haven't even posted a real video of it printing, and all the stock images were laser cut models, not prints. Furthermore, the resin is highly toxic, so all the handling shown in the video is misleading. Finally, there's a strong chance this resin, since it's "daylight sensitive", will completely destroy itself if exposed to even moderate sunlight.

For anyone else: don't ever buy a Kickstarter printer these days, especially without seeing it actually print. There's been so many failed projects on Kickstarter that backing something so sketchy as this is ... well ... not a great idea.

• Like 1

There's been so many failed projects on Kickstarter that backing something so sketchy as this is ... well ... not a great idea.

I don't disagree, but for $100, it might be a fun toy.

There's been so many failed projects on Kickstarter that backing something so sketchy as this is ... well ... not a great idea.

I don't disagree, but for $100, it might be a fun toy.

For sure it can be a fun toy for $100. But if it never materializes for $100 then it's not so fun.

I don't think anyone is saying don't get it, just that it is safer to purchase it when it comes out, even if it's slightly more expensive.

-it could years delayed as we've seen with a lot of projects.

-It could fail completely

-another competing product could be better and come out sooner during the production of this product. At that point you'd be locked in.

And EVEN if they hit every promise they set out to do and the product is wonderful. You can still buy it when it comes out without the risks and disadvantages of pledging early.

Owning a few Form2 and selling SLA printing services i have to say this:

#1 Daylight curing resin either takes for ever to cure or cures so fast it's useless unless you are in a dark room to set it up

#2 Not being able to use my phone for hours isn't practical (print at night? buy a second phone/itouch kinda thing?)

#3 How much is the resin? If it's proprietary then they can charge w/e they want

#4 Not a single video to show it in usage (it's all fake demo's and what not)

• Like 1

Yeah there's a bunch of things that bug me about this.

-Their resins come in clear bottles. Photosensitive resins! in clear bottles! ok fine, it's just marketing right now, but that's a little unrepresentative.

-They handle and wash their prints without gloves in a kitchen sink. Liquid resins washed in a place where you make food is not such a good idea since it's toxic.

-Not using gloves is also quite irresponsible marketing.

I've used the daylight resins before, I assume it's similar since that worked on LCD screens as well. They don't cure well, after a week, the prints are still tacky :/ Perhaps it's a different resin, or they will have it solved on launch. But until we see first hand, I remain skeptical.

Cleanup remains the most daunting part of owning SLA/DLP machines, and this is going to be a doozie to use.

The one major thing it has going for it however is using the phone screens. Since smartphone screens have amazing DPI compared to most tech you could theoretically get some really detailed prints if everything else works as advertised.

I'd put this in my list of interesting KS projects that have great misleading marketing videos. I will certainly be interested if it becomes a real thing, but never before.

Washing a print in a dedicated sink with rubber gloves and proper protective wear dosn't sell the product very well now does it?

Better to let the buyers of this plastic toy find that out for themselves right? :p