Large surface flat prints - edges curve up ?

jonjude

Posted · Large surface flat prints - edges curve up ?

Hi - I've been making some large surface-area prints, but even after checking and verifying Z-zeroing

across the print surface find that after a few layers the edges start to curve upward.

Any ideas ? do I need to go even closer to the print surface to get it to stick good ?

Regards,

This happens because the plastic shrinks when it cools down. PLA isn't as bad as ABS but it can still be annoying depending on what you're printing. The only way to stop this is to get a heated bed. There isn't any official heated bed for the Ultimaker yet but some people have built their own.

Another alternative that works somewhat is to add an extra edge around your print or discs around corners to help anchor your print to the platform. You would make these very thin and then just slice them off with a razor afterwards.

For more info search for "warp" or "warping" which is what it is normally called.

printing with raft can help sometimes.

I also heard hairspray onto the blue tape can strenghten the bond.

A heated build plate will be the final solution i think.

Needs Tempered glass or Aluminium with kaptontape as buildplattform

i am also working on this. but i didnt found a place yet to buy Tempered or Pyrex glass in flat shape and 21x21 size..

I have been using this tape on the bed I posted here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/ultimaker/L2mt6gQhwJs. Prints are sticking well, even on large objects and then come off cleanly. Do be careful that your bed is aligned correctly, if your head touches it will melt. Problem is, I just don't know the availability outside Switzerland and Germany.

you have entirely too much PLA at your disposal Daid.

It's a new silver color that we are testing ;-) I hope we can sell it soon, as it's a nice color. We had 2 test rolls, printed all of it. This cube was just the rest pieces.

It's a new silver color that we are testing ;-) I hope we can sell it soon, as it's a nice color. We had 2 test rolls, printed all of it. This cube was just the rest pieces.

do you have any other samples from the silver prints Daid ?

Ian :-)

Yes we have. But we'll show them one we have this new color on stock.