Sigh...

tom

That's putting it lightly... I've reported a whole bunch of threads, given them tips on how to stop it and offered to spend my time removing the spam for them. Not a single peep from the Ultimaker people in response. The guys in charge don't seem to read the forums at all, it's a bit disappointing.

That's putting it lightly... I've reported a whole bunch of threads, given them tips on how to stop it and offered to spend my time removing the spam for them. Not a single peep from the Ultimaker people in response. The guys in charge don't seem to read the forums at all, it's a bit disappointing.

Job position 4: [international] Community manager

The Ultimaker community is a strong one. A lot of people are very passionate about 3D printing and advancing the technology. You will facilitate the community by blogging about contributions and achievements, retweeting, Google+ing, assigning moderators, etc. Are you fluent in web 2.0 systems and social media? Connect with us!

They are looking on the forums, but not that often as you would expect. The job description I just wrote down is currently done by Erik (also known as ultimakerAdmin), which is quite a hard task for him because he also has a company to run (one that is getting more and more attention in holland btw). If you feel that you can take the ultimaking team to new levels in cyberspace, then I would certainly recommend you to apply for the job.

While I don't think it should be an applied for job I'm sure there are a few people that peruse these forums who would "moderate" if asked. If in no other capacity than to remove the obvious spam. Though if the Ultimaker people fill job position #4 and monitoring the forums is part of the job duties then more power too them.

Usually, asking to be a mod is usually the best way to never become one. If they'd like some extra help, they know where to find us.

this spam looks automated... if so, simple tools

like akismet could be added into the forum code to solve the problem once and for all, automatically.

afaik, using akismet just requires adding a few additional lines of code

Akismet for a commercial use is not free. (and we are somewhere on a gray line between commercial and community I think)

The registration page contains a hack that seems to stop quite a bit of automated spam, but not all of it. (strange, because it stopped all spam at another forum)

Disallowing URLs and Email addresses in the your first post would stop a whole deal of more spam. But also not all of it.

But having an active moderator is always a good thing. This can happen in 2 ways, the admin asks someone to be a moderator. Or one of the trusted community members asks if he/she can become one. This has to be someone the admin knows very well, and usually these people are very busy.

Being a moderator is a shitty job, nobody notices the good things you do, but once you are late or mis something you get all the shit.

Often changing the anti-spam question, e.g. from "Are you human?" to "What is two plus three?" is enough to stop all spam for a while, at least until some nasty fella manually updates the spam-bot to cope with it.

http://www.spacepiratesandzombies.com/forums/

this forum also had a cool captcha. You have to reassemble an image from parts. It's not very difficult for humans, but it's also not very hard for computers. But requires a whole new angle for the bots to solve.

Showing different pictures of 3D printers and ask which machine it is would also solve it I think :p

Just spoke with Erik from the ultimaker team, he cleaned the forums and would look for a new way to get rid of the spammy bots. In the mean-time, its human season! (not bot season, rabbit season or duck season :p).

i am going to work hard to clean up the forum and have started this week.

Ian :D

• Like 1