Any idea on why this is happening?

young_gun

Posted · Any idea on why this is happening?

So I have a Printrbot Simple Metal at home that's been doing a great job so I have spent more on that macine than the office printer. I am trying to troubleshoot some issues here :/

IMG_0674.thumb.JPG.e0cc5646cb9ba44bb5969b69bf54a991.JPG

IMG_0675.thumb.JPG.ad00cf3ce89b6d4b196cffc2742806fa.JPG

And the settings arent crazy either.

5a331f08098f9_ScreenShot2016-07-13at2_37_24PM.thumb.png.bb96e29df91d5bd980962e87b4caa555.png

IMG_0674.thumb.JPG.e0cc5646cb9ba44bb5969b69bf54a991.JPG

IMG_0675.thumb.JPG.ad00cf3ce89b6d4b196cffc2742806fa.JPG

5a331f08098f9_ScreenShot2016-07-13at2_37_24PM.thumb.png.bb96e29df91d5bd980962e87b4caa555.png

205, bed at 60 and I am using Form Futura EasyFil PLA

The machine is an Ultimaker 2 Extended

IMG_0677.thumb.JPG.f70ff39dd21e03c9469bbcdcd48b52b0.JPG

And another pic :/

So awhile back the machine jammed over the weekend, it wasnt my print, I didnt even know the machine was on. I came back on the monday and the PLA had basically turned into glass. I cleaned everything out using the atomic method, replaced the teflon sleeve although the original one was fine and reset everything. Its just not been on form since then. Do you think replacing the nozzle would make any difference?

205, bed at 60 and I am using Form Futura EasyFil PLA

The machine is an Ultimaker 2 Extended

IMG_0677.thumb.JPG.f70ff39dd21e03c9469bbcdcd48b52b0.JPG

And another pic :/

So awhile back the machine jammed over the weekend, it wasnt my print, I didnt even know the machine was on. I came back on the monday and the PLA had basically turned into glass. I cleaned everything out using the atomic method, replaced the teflon sleeve although the original one was fine and reset everything. Its just not been on form since then. Do you think replacing the nozzle would make any difference?

Alright..., it might be that nozzle or other inner parts of the hotend were damaged due to what you mention... But I don't know anything about UM2 hotends

There is some special cleaning filament you can get, maybe try to run 10 cm. of that through it to see if that helps, before replacing the nozzle

205 is a bit high in my humble opinion, and I would dich the nozzle and go for the OB, check the coupler also.

It under extruding on supports and infill. Have you updated cura around the same time as you did the work?

There are advanced setting in which display all the different speeds. Some updates have the support and infill speed to fast. This causes under extrusion.

Or it could be that something is not sitting correctly in the hotend after you changed the Teflon.

I would also increase the temp as 205 is a bit low for 100mm/s

Well I replaced the hotend and it appears to be better although I think its the filament feeder thats the issue, it keeps on slipping regardless of how its set. Its weird because it worked fine, it just slips all the time now. I think the knurl has lost its edge tbh.

Well I replaced the hotend and it appears to be better although I think its the filament feeder thats the issue, it keeps on slipping regardless of how its set. Its weird because it worked fine, it just slips all the time now. I think the knurl has lost its edge tbh.

Feeder will slip/skip if it encounters too high resistance while pushing the filament... This could happen if. eg. your filament is too thick, oval or in other ways blocks the bowden tube... It also happens if you are trying to push filament through too fast for the temperature setting... As mentioned by @Labern, at 100 mm/s print speed, your filament should be like liquid honey for it to keep up... that means higher temperature.

Feeder will slip/skip if it encounters too high resistance while pushing the filament... This could happen if. eg. your filament is too thick, oval or in other ways blocks the bowden tube... It also happens if you are trying to push filament through too fast for the temperature setting... As mentioned by @Labern, at 100 mm/s print speed, your filament should be like liquid honey for it to keep up... that means higher temperature.

I agree with all of this, that said, it was never a problem before. This machine always just belted out great prints until it didnt. And its using the same filament it always has so nothing has really changed. My printrbot stay at around 200 - 205 for PLA but I never push it to 100ms so whats the suggested temp for 100ms? 215? 220?

Depends on layer height but default is 210 deg for 50mm/s.

Something has changed you just have to find out what.

Feeder skipping means it's gripping so I would rule that put unless it needs a clean.

So could be loose or problem with temp sensor.

Heater not fully in.

Bad Teflon

Hotend parts not mating together properly.

Bad settings.

Bad roll of filament.

Remove the bowden tube and try to push the filament through by hand.

This table is for PLA. I don't know anything about "easyfil". This table was created by running my printer and seeing where the feeder skipped back and then cutting the speed in half to be safe.

Here are my recommended top speeds for .1mm layers and .4mm nozzle:

40mm/sec at 200C

60mm/sec at 210C

80mm/sec at 225C

100mm/sec at 240C

Oh and UM used to (still does) test every UM2 at 8mm^3/sec at 230C. At .1mm layers and .4mm nozzle thats 200mm/sec which agrees with my table (again, I recommend printing at half max possible speed but you can push the limits and print twice as fast but barely and only if everything is perfect).