BONDTECH Ultimaker 2 QR extruder upgrade kit 2.85/3.0

Posted · BONDTECH Ultimaker 2 QR extruder upgrade kit 2.85/3.0

Hello to all.

I would like to know from those who have purchased this feeder how things are going and if I recommended.

I would like to replace my feeder of UM2 that is really disgusting.

It is a good solution of this bondtech?

http://shop.bondtech.se/ec/upgrade-kits/ultimaker-2-qr-extruder-upgrade-kit.html

Installed more than 6 month ago ... very, very satisfied. :)

But remember that you have to modify and recompile the firmware because, with the Bondtech extruder, the insertion and removal speed are too high. Next you have also to change the steps per millimeter (all is well described in the installation notes that you receive with the extruder)

If you don't know how to modify/recompile the firmware, you can download a customized version from the Bondtech web site.

Guglielmo

Grazie Guglielmo, io sto cambiando molte cose sulla mia UM2

Sto per passare all'olsoon block da 1,75mm e al bondtech da 1,75mm appena usciti entrambi.

Ma volevo sentire il parare di chi già l'utilizza.

Please ... for respect for those who read this English section, still reply in English or open the discussion in Italian section of the forum :)

On my UM2 I changed both the extruder (with the Bondtech), that the hot-end (with the Olsoon block), but ... remaining on 2.85mm filament which I consider much better than 1.75mm ;)

Guglielmo

• Like 1

To replay I take the words from the site of "Diamond Age Solutions Ltd" (a filament manufacturer) ... in the FAQ ...

No. The thinner filament is not inherently more accurate, in fact the reverse is true. Thin filament has great advantages in making the machinery that uses it light and cheap, and in extreme cases move faster (though 3mm is mechanically more robust). The chief disadvantage of thin filament is that it comes out the big machine at the same speed as 3mm, and as the material cost of the filament is actually quite low compared to processing costs, it ends up costing about 3 time as much per kilo as 3mm filament. However, it’s cheaper to make machines that use 1.75mm, and pass the cost on to the consumer – you. Nasty trick.

Quite clear :D

Guglielmo

Posted (edited) · BONDTECH Ultimaker 2 QR extruder upgrade kit 2.85/3.0

Then add that most filaments have tolerances of +-0.05mm in diameter which, for the 2.85mm diameter filament, is only a volume difference of 7.02% while for the 1.75mm filament there is a volume difference of 11.43% so ... with 1.75mm prints can have more variability ...

And don't forget that you have a quite long "bowden tube" where you have to push a much thinner filament ...

Guglielmo

Edited by Guest

I agree with @gbp01 ... Very satisfied. I purchased a pair of them for my two UM2 systems. The items arrived to my door, which is on a different continent from their origin, just a few days after I ordered online. It's great machinery, it's affordable, and it just works well.

Bondtech recently provided a simple gcode file to use for making the firmware updates. Just run the gcode print and your UM2 gets configured for the Bondtech, so recompiling isn't necessary any longer

If you use the Tinkercad firmware, the retract and advance speeds are taken care of, and I cannot imagine anyone not using the Tinkercad version. You can also easily set the E-steps with it, so you don't even need the Bondtech file.

Repeat - you do NOT need to screw around recompiling the firmware.

• Like 1

I'm with eldrick on that, I use the Tinker firmware its better fir m, I also measured the filament for a given 100mm of travel and did the calculations and input directly into firmware - Great stuff

Hi All! I would like to inform you about the needed change for the firmware.

The thing that needs to be changed is the E-step value and also the speed used when performing a material change through the LCD-panel. Since the Bondtech QR uses a planetary gearbox with 5.18:1 ratio it needs to rotate faster than the standard motor, this means that the speed used during a material change must be lowered or the rotation speed will be too high for the motor.

I have made Firmwares availabe for download with the adjusted values. There is also a new version for the 2.1 firmware available (all firmwares can be downloaded here: http://shop.bondtech.se/ec/upgrade-kits/ultimaker-2-qr-extruder-upgrade-kit.html)

If you want to use the Tinkergnome firmware there is also a version for this available above.

You could also set the new E-step value by sending the following G-code to the printer

M92 E492.45

M500

This sets the new E-step value and saves the new value to the configuration. But in order to change the speed during a material change the firmware must be changed.

In order to lower the temperature of the motor the current can be lowered to 1000 mA, if you are using Simplify3D remember to change the startscript to 1000 mA (it says 1400 mA as standard)

We have now also a new high-precision PTFE tube in stock with 3.18 mm inside diameter that will decrease the hysteresis effect during retractions that will allow for shorter retract values. The PTFE tube will also improve the performance when printing with flexible filaments.

If there is anything you want to know just ask!

With best regards

Bondtech AB / Martin

Edited by Guest

Hi All! I would like to inform you about the needed change for the firmware.

The thing that needs to be changed is the E-step value and also the speed used when performing a material change through the LCD-panel. Since the Bondtech QR uses a planetary gearbox with 5.18:1 ratio it needs to rotate faster than the standard motor, this means that the speed used during a material change must be lowered or the rotation speed will be too high for the motor.

I have made Firmwares availabe for download with the adjusted values. There is also a new version for the 2.1 firmware available (all firmwares can be downloaded here: http://shop.bondtech.se/ec/upgrade-kits/ultimaker-2-qr-extruder-upgrade-kit.html)

If you want to use the Tinkergnome firmware there is also a version for this available above.

You could also set the new E-step value by sending the following G-code to the printer

M92 E492.45

M500

This sets the new E-step value and saves the new value to the configuration. But in order to change the speed during a material change the firmware must be changed.

In order to lower the temperature of the motor the current can be lowered to 1000 mA, if you are using Simplify3D remember to change the startscript to 1000 mA (it says 1400 mA as standard)

We have now also a new high-precision PTFE tube in stock with 3.18 mm inside diameter that will decrease the hysteresis effect during retractions that will allow for shorter retract values. The PTFE tube will also improve the performance when printing with flexible filaments.

If there is anything you want to know just ask!

With best regards

Bondtech AB / Martin

Hi Martin

The same news also applies to your kit from 1,75mm for UM2?

Yes @paul9 the same procedure applies also the the 1.75 mm version. The E-step value for the 1.75 mm version is 476.55 compared to the 3.0 that is 492.45.

/Martin

I've had my Bondtech extruder for nearly two weeks now and I think it was well worth the cost. It was quite simple to install. With the included foam pad to dampen the vibrations between the motor and the back of the printer, it's also quieter now. The stock extruder on the Ultimaker 2 was a weak point and a source of plenty of frustration in the past, but the Bondtech makes it pretty much worry-free. It grips the filament tightly with no grinding. I used to get nervous about hearing the printer doing lots of retractions, but the Bondtech handles retractions with no problems at all. I highly recommend it!

• Like 1

Welcome to the Bondetech Users, Great Product great guy who replies to emails8)

• Like 1

I bought the Bondtech for Ultimaker 2 and I am more than happy about it.

My ultimaker 2 is almost 3 years old now and I used it a lot for my work as a designer and as a 3d hubs printer. The original feeder used to work fine for a while but grinding and under extrusion were common issues. It got much worse with time and I tried many tricks to fight under extrusion (higher temperature, slower extrusion). I even changed the feeder altogether. It helped a bit but the feeder was still unreliable. It turned out that the feeder knurled sleeve was slightly less sharp and that was one of the reason that the feeder was under extruding.

So I got fed up to spend so much time on fixing the feeder and I bought the premium Bondtech feeder. I have used it for a couple of days now and I'm super happy. It's like I have a new printer. That's a huge upgrade. The prints are much better and it is actually a bit less noisy (especially when retracting). The good thing about this feeder is that it has 2 pushing wheels instead of one on the original feeder. So grinding and under extrusion are much less likely. It makes the printer much more reliable now. I bought the bondtech for 180 euros (without taxes) in Belgium. It is not cheap but that's a relatively small price knowing that it is one of the most important component of the printer. No headaches anymore! Thumbs up for the Bondtech team!

Edited by emmynona