Ultimaker 2 extended plus stops extruding 2 a few minutes in the print and leaves filament curled up in a spring

fefster

Posted · Ultimaker 2 extended plus stops extruding 2 a few minutes in the print and leaves filament curled up in a spring

My ultimaker 2 extended plus is not working properly and has been doing this for a while. Apologies for the amateur camera movements. I know it looks as if the yellow pin holding the bowden tube down is not placed correctly, but trust me it's just a coincidence, it does that no matter how well you place the pin. I have never seen this and I really cannot think of why it would do it anymore. It is an ultimaker extended plus and it starts off printing perfectly, but then a few minutes in it stops extruding and it makes a springy thingy with the filament. Any ideas?

Here is the video:

Posted · Ultimaker 2 extended plus stops extruding 2 a few minutes in the print and leaves filament curled up in a spring

Probably the bowden tube isn't fully 'in' give it a shake/wiggle it, until it really goes in. To be sure just measure the distance from the top to the white coupler (below the shiny metal thing) and insert the bowden that distance, if it's less then it's hitting the alu plate before going 'fully in'.

I see the problem. Clearly it stopped extruding. There. Solved.

Oh. but why? Not sure. Is this filament brittle? Brittle filament can break in the bowden and then when the crack reaches the end of the bowden it can get stuck. If the rear fan stops spinning you can get clogs which keeps the filament from moving (is it moving? I can't tell in the video it's either not spinning at all or spinning too fast to be able to see - touch it - on the rear of the head while it is warmed up - it should start spinning as soon as the print head is at 40C or hotter).

What else - well the filament may have grinded first and then stopped extruding - although it's hard to tell which happened first. You could have dust on your filament that travels through the bowden slowly and gets stuck in the nozzle - this is obvious because when you push filament through it won't come out anymore.

Your filament may be broken, or bent, or too large for the bowden (you need to use 2.85 to 2.9mm filament - 3.0mm filament is too large - measure with micrometer). Your feeder may be defective. What happens if you push on the filament hard from the rear when this happens? Like with enough force to lift the printer off the table. About 10 pounds force.

Next time please don't make me watch a 5 minute video - tell me where the problem starts in the video or edit it down.

Also - is this PLA? ABS can cook to a gummy gunk if you print too slow or too hot but this looks plenty fast enough.

Also. If you pull the bowden (with the clip in) does it go out? (Try this with the hotend on a corner, not with it on the middle)

Also. If you pull the bowden (with the clip in) does it go out? (Try this with the hotend on a corner, not with it on the middle)

Good point!

I see the problem.  Clearly it stopped extruding.  There.  Solved.

Oh.  but why?  Not sure.  Is this filament brittle?  Brittle filament can break in the bowden and then when the crack reaches the end of the bowden it can get stuck.  If the rear fan stops spinning you can get clogs which keeps the filament from moving (is it moving?  I can't tell in the video it's either not spinning at all or spinning too fast to be able to see - touch it - on the rear of the head while it is warmed up - it should start spinning as soon as the print head is at 40C or hotter).

What else - well the filament may have grinded first and then stopped extruding - although it's hard to tell which happened first.  You could have dust on your filament that travels through the bowden slowly and gets stuck in the nozzle - this is obvious because when you push filament through it won't come out anymore.

Your filament may be broken, or bent, or too large for the bowden (you need to use 2.85 to 2.9mm filament - 3.0mm filament is too large - measure with micrometer).  Your feeder may be defective.  What happens if you push on the filament hard from the rear when this happens?  Like with enough force to lift the printer off the table.  About 10 pounds force.

Next time please don't make me watch a 5 minute video - tell me where the problem starts in the video or edit it down.

Bit nervous, are we? Your reply is also pretty unhelpful, none of your answers are good or well thought out. You can just not reply the next time :)

No, it doesnt.

I also have two more ultimakers, and have been using them for a year and a half now, so I know them very well, have taken them apart multiple times, updated them with the new extrusion pack. The filament is not the problem. The bowden tube, maybe, but I don't understand what could possibly be wrong with it.

So. The bowden doesn't move at all when you pull it on a corner. Ok. Can you try to stick a bit of blue tape on the bowden, so if it's being pushed up you can actually see if it moves? The force from the extruder might be too high. I can't think other way (if the bowden it's fully inside the tfm coupler) to have filament curved in between. The fast fix (if it's that) would be to print a thicker bowden clip.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 2 extended plus stops extruding 2 a few minutes in the print and leaves filament curled up in a spring

I can't tell in your video, but it kinda looks like the 3rd (back fan) isn't running. If this fan isn't on, it would for sure be the source of all your problems.

*edit* oh, I just saw the end of the video. I agree with Neotko, your bowden doesn't appear to be in all the way slotting into the PTFE. (but do check the back fan too)

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Neotko was right. I suspected this but it really seemed like it was all the way in. For future reference, the tube was damaged at the edge and it did not go inside the PTFE. I double checked how much the tube went in against my other ultimaker, and it was about a cm short! I will buy another bowden tube and see, but I really believe that was the problem. Thank you so much to all of you (all, but gr5 :) ) for your help. I will let you know if it works with the new bowden tube!

But the small third fan also rotates not, be seen in the video!

• Like 1

But the small third fan also rotates not, be seen in the video!

Ah someone sees it too! not just me. This will cause many problems. Ensured print failures after about 2-5 minutes.

OH MY GOD! you guys are amazing, that was the problem! there was some plastic stuck in the little f***** at the back! thank you so much! hopefully now it will print like a beaut!

• Like 1

OH MY GOD! you guys are amazing,

Did you realize that 3 of us mentioned the back fan? Including in that post you claimed was useless, lol!

OH MY GOD! you guys are amazing,

Did you realize that 3 of us mentioned the back fan?  Including in that post you claimed was useless, lol!

Yes, you are right. If you replied to my post like a decent person, I would have noticed it.

I thought I was being a decent person and am not sure what I did wrong. Was it this part? I was in a good mood and thought I was being funny. My jokes occasionally fall flat but when reading posts always assume the poster is smiling and friendly unless you see something clearly otherwise.

I see the problem. Clearly it stopped extruding. There. Solved.

Oh. but why? Not sure. Is this filament brittle? [...]

Was it that? Or something else I said. I truly don't understand. Also I can type as fast as I can talk (very very fast) so I tend to type more than necessary.

I've read the thread twice...I don't see how @gr5 failed you or was anything less than helpful.