New design extruder Ultimaker on Thingiverse

Posted · New design extruder Ultimaker on Thingiverse

Hello,

I put my design of a new design of the extruder of the Ultimaker on Thingiverse.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:15897

I'am very happy with the design.

No more problems with skipping filament or cleaning anymore.

You have to make some things in steel and adjust the software.

Geo Hagen

http://www.hagentb.nl

Hi,

The metal parts for the new Ultimaker Extruder Update from Geo Hagen are in Stock now!

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:15897

Both parts are CNC Turned, with the highest tolerances, Made in Switzerland:

- Wheel, made in Aluminium, gear including M8 thread

- The Axis in steel with a 3.2 mm hole

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/43821967/UM%20Extruder1.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/43821967/UM%20Extruder2.JPG

You can order the full Kit including the 688 2RS (8/16/5 mm) standard Ultimaker bearing for € 59.- plus shipping. Please ask for shipping costs!

If you have any questions, please email me: info@fabberworld.com

Regards

Tristan

Oh cool!

Is it yet possible to order one of these? or even a complete extruder part without the motor... ?

Your onlineshop still didnt had any additional stuff, like replacement hotends and pulley stuff. (the things we cant get from DIY Shops)

selfbuilding the extruder didnt work for me yet. i cant laser the 8mm wood and preserve the precision needed.

since im sitting in switzerland maybe i can purchase it directly from the company?

greetings.

Do you have any pics of the finished working extruder? Chuck

Hi Chuck,

here is a small video of the working extruder:

Regards

Tristan

thanks... once I get the heat issues on my machine worked out I think this extruder is in my future.

Chuck

I ordered the parts for this extruder from Fabberworld, really hope this extruder fixes my problems. Right now I am struggling to even print the plastic parts for this extruder. Nice bootstrap problem :)

M92 E5.092 worked for me in NetFabb.

865.88/315 = 14/5.092 is where I came up with that number.

The dowel nuts I got in the kits (bought two) were aluminum and poorly threaded. I couldn't get enough compression on the filament to leave it unattended for more than an hour. The filament slipped and ground even though there was no blockage in the nozzle (pulls out easily at 160). I've threaded my bowden tube into the PEEK and switched back to the stock extruder until I can make steel dowel nuts. I can't get that size here in the states commercially.

The dowel nut is 8 dia. by 16 lg. with an M4 thru hole.

Design-wise, I'd like to see a spring specified or supplied. All the non-Ultimaker extruders have them to keep the compression constant despite varying filament thickness.

Will try again once I get the dowel nuts made. So far, threading the bowden tube (or assembling it correctly per the inst.) and keeping the hobbed bolt clean are the answers for me.

Kyle

Oh, I forgot, I bought a few of these for the clamp

http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?partnum=50775K327

They're marked Parker, Fast & Tite, 1/4, 10 on the top of the nut. Really nice clamps!

Kyle

Geo,

Since I for some reason cannot post to the google group, So I will ask my question here. Ethos, in the Google group, mentioned the following:

"Worth bearing in mind that the larger drive wheel in the Geo Hagen

extruder lowers the torque which may increase skipping. Also worth

noting that the extruder will always skip to at least the previous full

step angle. With the GH extruder, the driven speed is very slow which

means you will be spending more time in micro-step positions and

therefore more likely to skip.

I've just taken delivery of a more powerful stepper with a 0.9 degree

step angle to see if the higher step resolution is a better match to the

extruder.

Terry

"

So in your first post in this thread, you mention that there will be no more skipping filament, whereas Ethos mentions skipping in increased due to lower torque... which is true?

Just trying to understand (and learn)... I received the metal parts today - am testing it as we speak..

Hey Tristan,

The parts i just received a couple weeks ago will still work with this new design? I haven't had a chance to make my new extruders.

If not will the old design still be avail for download?

Chuck

Geo,

Since I for some reason cannot post to the google group, So I will ask my question here. Ethos, in the Google group, mentioned the following:

"With the GH extruder, the driven speed is very slow which

therefore more likely to skip."

I can't post to the google group either (usually, it's very random... not worth my time)

Pls someone correct me if I am wrong since I also would like to know more, but whether your stepper is in microstepping or not has nothing to do with the current "speed" at which you are travelling. As far as I understand there is a jumper you must set which determines which mode you are in, and and it does not change with speed at all. Most motors (ie - all) have better torque at lower speeds, and microstepping also lessens torque overall, but these are separate things.

Chuck,

this thread is from January '12 timeframe - so i believe the new design refers to new design introduced in January... so it should work with the design on thingiverse. I received my metal parts couple of days agoi and got the extruder working today...

So far so good... I had to play around with the E value a bit ...i think mine is around E320...

Hey Tristan,

The parts i just received a couple weeks ago will still work with this new design? I haven't had a chance to make my new extruders.

If not will the old design still be avail for download?

Chuck

I opened a case with ultimaker support regarding google group, and they granted me permissions to post.. so maybe when they started this new forum, they probably made new membership to google groups readonly by default...i think...

Geo,

"With the GH extruder, the driven speed is very slow which

therefore more likely to skip."

I can't post to the google group either (usually, it's very random... not worth my time)

Pls someone correct me if I am wrong since I also would like to know more, but whether your stepper is in microstepping or not has nothing to do with the current "speed" at which you are travelling. As far as I understand there is a jumper you must set which determines which mode you are in, and and it does not change with speed at all. Most motors (ie - all) have better torque at lower speeds, and microstepping also lessens torque overall, but these are separate things.

I built this extruder as well and I am very happy with it. Running at 329 steps per E and have not seen any jamming any more. If the bowden tube pressure builds up too high the motor simply skips steps, relieving pressure. Great design! Just the metal parts are a bit expensive (59 ex shipping) but well worth it imo as an upgrade over the stock feeder.