ERROR - STOPPED Heater Error - after extrusion upgrade kit installation on UM2 Extended

pc360

Posted · ERROR - STOPPED Heater Error - after extrusion upgrade kit installation on UM2 Extended

Hi All,

I purchased the Ultimaker 2+ extrusion upgrade kit and installed it this evening, in my Ultimaker 2 Extended.

When the print head is trying to heat up I’m getting the on screen error "ERROR - STOPPED Heater Error Go to: ultimate/ER03”, I’ve tried the following:

1) upgraded to the latest Ultimaker 2+ extended firmware via Cura

2) Checked the connections on the main board

3) The nozzle is not touching the metal fan shroud (as stated in the support article)

4) I’ve check that the header cartridge and PT100 B sensor are fully inserted into the back of the hot end (as stated in the support article)

Is there anything else that I can try?

Thanks,

Phil.

Posted · ERROR - STOPPED Heater Error - after extrusion upgrade kit installation on UM2 Extended

It's almost surely the heater. Did the nozzle temperature increase a little before getting the error? Does it read 20C when you start? These are crucial pieces of info.

If it does not read around 20C (room temperature) before you start heating then it's most likely the temp sensor.

But much more likely it's the heater. The temp sensor will just sit there at 20C even though you asked the bed to heat up to say 40C or hotter.

You may have inserted the heater wiring into the wrong holes or not thoroughly. Give them a gentle pull and see if the wires come out. You might also want to try stripping a little insulation of the end of the wires of the heater.

Hi, Thanks for the reply, yes the temperate of the nozzle is around 23c (room temperature) and never increases past that. I have check the heater wires and they are correct inserted into (HEATER 1) on the main board. I have also stripped the insulation on the end of the wires incase there was a bad connection - but this hasn't fixed the issue.

I assume the wires can be inserted into the holes of HEATER 1 in any order?

Could the heater be faulty? Could I use the heater cable from my old UM2 extruder or are these different on the UM2+?

Thanks,

The heater cables can be in any order, they have no polarity.

Yes you can just take the heater you still have from the UM2, they are the same.

The UM2 heater is 25W while the UM2+ heater is 35W. The PID values for the 2+ firmware are tuned for this as well so you might see some more temperature fluctuations if you use your old heater (and it will be less powerful).

If you have a multimeter you can check the resistance of the heater to make sure it's not dead.

Yes, check the resistance of the heater. It should be about 16.5 ohms. Anything between 13 ohms and 20 ohms should at least heat up. If the ohms is okay then I go back to my original claim that you didn't insert them properly - you have to push on something (usually orange) for the hole to open up, then you slide the wires in farther than you might think and then release the spring thing. Tugging on the wires should result in them staying in even with 1kg force.

However if the heater is indeed defective I would contact customer support and tell them that you ohmed out the new heater and it is infinite ohms (broken) and you want a new 35W heater.