How to turn off or dim the leds of the Ultimaker3

MarnixRRR

Posted · How to turn off or dim the leds of the Ultimaker3

With my Ultimaker2 i can dim or turn off the leds during printing. Perfect.

I don't see these settings with the Ultimaker3. And can't find them in the menu (when not printing) either.

Question is; how can i turn off the lights?

Thanks.

I haven't found it in the menu either. I think this is just not implemented yet. But the printer has sexy RGB LED's and I am sure this feature will be available soon.

Yes we need to ask @daid team to add a list of egb moods so we can have more colors on the menu and specially brim dim.

Hardware/firmware can totally do it, is just a matter of adding some coding. But also the machine has just been released so probably they will focus on tuning any other important details. Before going into the fancy stuff.

You will be able in the future. For the UM2 this was also not possible at launch.

The current LED implementation in firmware 3.4.12 is actually pretty broken. The API to set the leds does not work. I fixed this locally, but even then you cannot change the LED colors.

M142 currently does set the case leds, but that's not officially supported and will most likely break in the future, or become a really supported feature.

Daww :( The leds were like the main reason to get started with the API. I mean; 50 boxes that can do a single RGB pixel will look frigging amazing (and is probably the most expensive 5 x 10 display out there...)

• Like 1

Daww :(The leds were like the main reason to get started with the API. I mean; 50 boxes that can do a single RGB pixel will look frigging amazing (and is probably the most expensive 5 x 10 display out there...)

Well, good luck for you then, we have a fix on our master branch ready. Not sure when that will hit the testing firmware version. We first have our high-priority branch to finish and release.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · How to turn off or dim the leds of the Ultimaker3

PLEASE update the firmware to let us do it asap.

We got a $150 fine last night for leaving our lights on at work.

Well our lights were off... but our UM3's were running. Yes they are that bright!

Not cool :-(

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Wow, interesting point... @ronan

There's a gcode that changes the leds, I think if you dig on cura json structure you could add that gcode to the end of each print (or start).

M142 r[0-255] g[0-255] b[0-255] w[0-255]

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/23254-inside-the-ultimaker-3-day-1-gcode#reply-159826

Ofc to be sure you can just manually edit the gcode before sending it to the printer. The header is very easy to distinguish from the start of the print. Just add that in between (never before the header)

Edited by Guest

What about unplugging them (A)

The plug is behind the cover and on a new connection. It doesn't use the LED PWM plug, so isn't easy at all to do that. Also I would not touch the board with all the cables there (yeah I did that and more stuff the first 4 days).

I wouldn't mess with the insides of brand new UM3's tbh...

Right now kind of grounded for long prints, i spoke to the owner of the building where we rent space for our business, they do not care. They have to abide by some pretty strict regulations.

Thought of sticking them in our utility closet but it's kind of messy and 30 feet from the nearest outlet. No point having a 'nice' workshop if our printers are struck in a tiny closet lol

Editing the gcode is a good idea... id have to dig into it (unless someone already has... @Daid ;)

Edited by Guest

I wouldn't mess with the insides of brand new UM3's tbh...

Right now kind of grounded for long prints, i spoke to the owner of the building where we rent space for our business, they do not care. They have to abide by some pretty strict regulations.

Thought of sticking them in our utility closet but it's kind of messy and 30 feet from the nearest outlet. No point having a 'nice' workshop if our printers are struck in a tiny closet lol

Editing the gcode is a good idea... id have to dig into it (unless someone already has... @Daid  ;)

Is a very easy thing to edit... (until they change the Gcode on some update)

led0ff.thumb.jpg.f4795cf0d58e0e81cb105db3b0784378.jpg

Edited by Guest
    • Like 3

Golden mate, golden.

Thank you :)

Today I received my UM3, did a first testprint in PLA and was very impressed with the easy way to get going.

Dimming the LEDs using M142 should be breeze when sending the gcode over to the printer, but how about dimming the lights DURING a printjob? I have kicked of a 36 hr job, and would love to be able to activate/deactive the LEDs on the fly.

Today I received my UM3, did a first testprint in PLA and was very impressed with the easy way to get going.

Dimming the LEDs using M142 should be breeze when sending the gcode over to the printer, but how about dimming the lights DURING a printjob? I have kicked of a 36 hr job, and would love to be able to activate/deactive the LEDs on the fly.

There's no way (not easy) to send Gcode to the printer atm. The USB serial port that is on the white board, now called motion controller (or something alike) is closed because now is undercontrol of this fantastic little new brain running on Linux. To send gcode to the printer while printing, It might be possible accessing the open serial port that the machine uses to communicate with the motion controller.

Also there's some python on the system that can get gcode on the machine but since I know so little I haven't been able to make a console to send stuff to it. Anyway I suppose someone will open a gcode console? Maybe a cura pluging to send Gcodes and test future mods. No idea... Atm to test gcodes is quite a pain to do since the starting heat sequence can't be avoided, while we where doing the beta I had to test the led gcode after finding it on the python that controls the led, and to just test this M142 (before Daid released all the documentation) I had to wait for all to heat/start.

So.. No, but probably soon, since it can be a real issue like Ronan had a fine for having lights on.

In regard of unplugging cables from the electronics, or just messing with the electronics in general; some more precautions should be taken than what you are might used too.

The Ultimaker 3 electronics are very sensitive to ESD, the Olimex board in particular. So if you want to work with the electronics, make sure you wear for example a wristband like this one to discharge / ground yourself.

Wearing such a wristband doesn't mean nothing can go wrong while meddling with the electronics, but the risk of ESD is reduced.

In regard of unplugging cables from the electronics, or just messing with the electronics in general; some more precautions should be taken than what you are might used too.

The Ultimaker 3 electronics are very sensitive to ESD, the Olimex board in particular. So if you want to work with the electronics, make sure you wear for example a wristband like this one to discharge / ground yourself.

Wearing such a wristband doesn't mean nothing can go wrong while meddling with the electronics, but the risk of ESD is reduced.

Indeed I would not touch the board if possible. Also that's why the gcode solution (or a future firmware update to just pwn down the led) is the best solution atm.

The gcode modification works GREAT.

Been using it ever since @neotko posted it :)

• Like 1

There's no way (not easy) to send Gcode to the printer

So.. No, but probably soon, since it can be a real issue like Ronan had a fine for having lights on.

I was afraid that at this point in the UM3's lifecycle that would be the case. Good to hear however that a solution will be there shortly!

Until then, the M142 workaround will do...

Thank you for your elaborate and honest answer to my question.

Any news on this topic?

On 11/5/2016 at 2:04 AM, neotko said:

Is a very easy thing to edit... (until they change the Gcode on some update)

How does one add this "M142 r0 g0 b0 w0" line? 

is it in one of these boxes? I'd light to turn off the LED for the duration of the print...

Screen Shot 2022-09-09 at 2.52.02 PM.png

Unfortunately, I don't think those are used if g-cdoe flavor is "griffin".  You could try it but I think you have to edit the gcode with any text editor.

Or you can just turn off the lights in the menu.  There is an option to set the light's in the menu somewhere I think.  "frame light" maybe?

So try this: Add that line of code in the "start g-code" box.  Then slice and save the file.  Then open the file in a text editor and see if it added your gcode.  If not then you will have to edit each gcode file that you create and add the line.  Or do what I suggested and turn the frame light off manually.

Oh it looks like you have an S3 which I think means when you save it won't be ".gcode" but will be ".ufp".  Just rename the file extention to ".zip" and you can see there is a simple directory tree and it's easy to find the gcode file.  You can edit it and save it or just look at it and then rename the zip file back to ufp.

Thanks for replying. I do have an S3.
    I can turn the lights off in settings, but there isn't an option to keep them off when the printer is printing.

I've tried adding the line to a saved out .gcode file and I didn't have any luck either. Thoughts?image.thumb.png.fe28621cfa7785853f208531288e7a61.png

3DBenchy.gcode