Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
ahoeben

Cura 2.x plugin: Pause slicing

I have released a small plugin for Cura 2.x that adds a pause/resume button next to the Save/Print button in the lower right corner of the sidebar:

https://github.com/fieldOfView/PauseBackendPlugin

Press the pause button, and Cura will stop slicing and no longer restart slicing until you press the button again. The implementation is a bit of a hack, so it may break with future versions (but I will do my best to update the plugin if/when it does break).

• Like 1

To install this, launch Cura and open the "Help->Show Configuration Folder" menu option. Inside the configuration folder there should already be a folder named "plugins".

Download the plugin from github, and extract it in that plugins folder, so you have [config folder]/plugins/PauseBackendPlugin/README.md (etc). Note that it is important that the folder is named "PauseBackendPlugin", *not* eg "PauseBackendPlugin-master". Unfortunately github adds that -master bit if you download a zip of the project.

Edited by Guest
Emphasize the importance of the folder name

@Nallath is referring to the previous version of this plugin for 2.1. I did not get the functionality working, so in a frustrated mood I made a plugin that just placed a white square over the progressbar so you did not see it, thus shoving the problem under the carpet. We got a few giggles out of one user reporting that it worked very well. I only posted a link to that version once, so I don't think many people saw it before.

Jokes aside, the current version of the plugin actually works, by preventing CuraEngine from being started when the plugin is in "paused" state. This gives the user the chance to make multiple setting changes, arrange objects, etc without the models being resent to CuraEngine every time.

On Ubuntu (thopiekars ppa) it looks like this:

cura_button.png.acddf76e533f0f8ce041852a8d1f4478.png

------------------------------------------------------

Edit:

searched a bit around and it seems that the "postprocessing.svg" simply is missing in the postprocessing-plugin folder - at least in the PPA from @thopiekar

cura_button.png.acddf76e533f0f8ce041852a8d1f4478.png

Edited by Guest

it is stuck at the splash screen and quits when it comes to 'loading interface...'

In the "Show Configuration Folder" folder, there should be a stderr.log file that I am interested in. Could you post that somewhere that I can have a look at it? Don't paste it here, it will muck up the forum. PM me a dropbox link, or use pastebin.com

Oh, wait, I think I know what is going on. The folder the files are in *must* be named "PauseBackendPlugin", not "PauseBackendPlugin-master"! The -master bit is added to the foldername by github if you download a zip.

I have updated the installation instructions.

Edited by Guest

I could not get to them. I would normally go from home-> ga-> bovenliggende map naar de bibliotheek folder, because this folder is hidden. But this would bring me to a different application support folder where there cura folder was missing. Confusing..

Even a search would not bring me to the installed plugin..

But now I have the Bibliotheek visible in the finder and that is the right one..

There are a couple of "Library" ("Bibliotheek") folders. One is inside your home folder, and that is the one that has your cura configuration folder. Unfortunately Apple decided it was better to hide that folder by default.

True many companies choose to hide options so users can't edit them... Sorry not a rant just pulling your leg. But I agree, is never a good idea to hide options errr folders!...