E3D Ultimaker 2 Extrusion Upgrade Kit

Posted · E3D Ultimaker 2 Extrusion Upgrade Kit

Hi forum,

Has anyone on here tried this upgrade kit - did a quick search here for threads but nothing obvious?

"]http://e3d-online.com/Ultimaker-Extrusion-Upgrade-Kit[/url]

If so, is it any good and potentially, would it be an alternative to the UM2+ upgrade kit?

Just interested as its a cheaper upgrade option

Cheers all

Franc

• Like 1

Changing nozzles on an olsson block is much easier than on a V6.

The V6 (3mm bowden version) is indeed a bad idea for PLA.

The ONLY reason I can think of to use a V6 is when you need to print very high temperatures. I'm convinced for most people the UM2+Olsson block is a much better and user friendly solution.

And consider getting the meduza upgrade also! That works as well as the "plus" feeder when combined with iRoberti feeder as far as I'm concerned:

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/meduza-um2-belt-geared-feeder-improved

If you want me to ship you a kit from USA let me know - it will save you time and money versus buying all the individual parts yourself. My store won't ship to UK but I'll make an exception for this kit since it isn't offered by 3dsolex yet (he has all the parts but is too busy doing other stuff right now).

Posted (edited) · E3D Ultimaker 2 Extrusion Upgrade Kit

The main issue I see on this e3d upgrade is that you actually keep the 0.9 400 steps um2 motor. In my months of testing it with and without meduza geared and with my variant that used actual gears I noticed a lot of missing micro errors while doing thousands of retractions. I could actually bet money on the fact that this feeder was one of the main issues on precision and torque of the um2. I have 2 of that um2 motors that I bought to ultimaker (when that was possible) and they can't print the stuff I do, but the umo feeder 1.8 200 steps can and works perfectly (mind that I use 1.75mm on my printers).

The lack of precision is best saw by looking at this photos from @puremoco and the info he linked https://forum.pololu.com/t/stepper-microstepping-not-constant/6938/5

So, Meduza extruder is fantastic and a great solution but the um2 feeder motor IMO and In my own experience and tests is just not good enough for precision and top quality under stress.

Also one of the things a um2 upgrade should have is a Ferrite core to cut any electrical noise from feeder (specifically important since all um2+ & um3 use them, despite that when I recommended them long ago noone from UM said a thing about them).

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited) · E3D Ultimaker 2 Extrusion Upgrade Kit
    The main issue I see on this e3d upgrade is that you actually keep the 0.9 400 steps um2 motor.

Really? In the video you can see that E3D includes a replacement stepper with a pre-assembled drive gear (42 seconds into the video):

Edited by Guest

The main issue I see on this e3d upgrade is that you actually keep the 0.9 400 steps um2 motor.

Really? In the video you can see that E3D includes a replacement stepper with a pre-assembled drive gear (42 seconds into the video):

Men I'm definitely getting old...

I find it great (E3D cares a lot about UM users!). However, the upgrade won't be that good if you print PLA due to the E3D V6 design. I wish they released a version for only PLA.

Concerning the feeder, I have an E3D Titan feeder installed in my UMO+ with the original stepper motor and it works really nice. I use it with an UM2 printhead I installed on hte UMO+, and I can say it improved the print quality.

As @ultiarjan suggests, I'd go for an Olsson Block + E3D Titan (or Meduza). And if you want a fast and easy upgrade, go 100% to the Ultimaker Upgrade Kit.

I find it great (E3D cares a lot about UM users!). However, the upgrade won't be that good if you print PLA due to the E3D V6 design. I wish they released a version for only PLA.

Concerning the feeder, I have an E3D Titan feeder installed in my UMO+ with the original stepper motor and it works really nice. I use it with an UM2 printhead I installed on hte UMO+, and I can say it improved the print quality.

As @ultiarjan suggests, I'd go for an Olsson Block + E3D Titan (or Meduza). And if you want a fast and easy upgrade, go 100% to the Ultimaker Upgrade Kit.

- they have a version thats supposed to be better with PLA, the V6 lite, but I think it's only in 1.75, and has a limmited temperature range, so no upgrade v.s Olsson block

- I did not suggest to go for the Titan..... I hear good things about it but never used it myself. No need as I think the + feeders from Ultimaker I use on multiple machines do a fine job.

Thanks all,

I'm mainly a PLA based (lower temp filament user) so very rarely use high temps.

My UM2 standard extruder motor but OB upgrade prints all PLA based materials well (except full-flex - can't get that to print but semi-flex prints fine).

I'll stick with what i have unless i go for the 2+ upgrade or even the UM3 if Santa received my wish list? ;-)

• Like 1