Cura 2.3.1 Heat the bed and nozzle at the same time

Nallath, printer works fine with this in Simplify3D

M190 heats the bed with wait

M140 heats the bed but jumps to next line

so added these lines to the start gcode in machine settings :

M140 S{material_bed_temperature} ; set bed temp

M104 S{material_print_temperature} ; set extruder temp

M109 S{material_print_temperature} ; set extruder temp

Apart from @nallath electrical concerns, there's another reason why it is nicer to first heat up the bed, before starting to heat up the hotend: The hotend is going to reach its target temperature much sooner than the bed. Idle filament in a hot hotend can start to ooze and/or deteriorate in quality. For some materials (eg wood filled or brass filled), it can even lead to clogged nozzles.

The added wait time of first heating up the bed and then heating up the hotend is going to by negligible compared to the print time for anything but the smallest of prints.

Apart from @nallath electrical concerns, there's another reason why it is nicer to first heat up the bed, before starting to heat up the hotend: The hotend is going to reach its target temperature much sooner than the bed. Idle filament in a hot hotend can start to ooze and/or deteriorate in quality. For some materials (eg wood filled or brass filled), it can even lead to clogged nozzles.

The added wait time of first heating up the bed and then heating up the hotend is going to by negligible compared to the print time for anything but the smallest of prints.

Yes, I totally agree....but if we know all these things and still want to heat both, I think there should be and option :)

If a print is finished and i want to do another one, the bed and nozzle are already warm but temp drops, if I start a Simplify3D file, both starts heating back up again, but start a Cura file, the bed heats and the nozzle cools meanwhile

Hide it under expert settings or in the machine settings with a warning of weak PSU issues and clogged nozzles.

A) Go to Preheat on Tinkergnome's firmware. Heat the bed to material temp, and set the extruder temp to 130 or so, which should be safe with any filament I've used.

B) Wait for the bed temp to get to 3-5 degrees below target temp.

C) Print the model, with the nozzle already pre-heated. The bed will reach the target temp at about the same time as the print begins.

This is all automatable with Kisslicer using simple pre-print gcode and KS' temperature variables.

A) Go to Preheat on Tinkergnome's firmware. Heat the bed to material temp, and set the extruder temp to 130 or so, which should be safe with any filament I've used.

B) Wait for the bed temp to get to 3-5 degrees below target temp.

C) Print the model, with the nozzle already pre-heated. The bed will reach the target temp at about the same time as the print begins.

This is all automatable with Kisslicer using simple pre-print gcode and KS' temperature variables.

Tinkergnome's firmware is UM2 only, im on UMO

Nozzle heats up faster than the bed, so I set the bed to heat upto 50° first, and then start heating the nozzle and bed at the sime time, its perfect.

Start Gcode :

M190 S50 ; wait for 50C bed temp

M104 S{material_print_temperature} ; set extruder temp

M140 S{material_bed_temperature} ; set bed temp

M109 S{material_print_temperature} ; wait for extruder temp

Edited by Guest