Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
btb

Support error

Hi

Thanks for the software

Cura is wrongly guessing the support on the example below

Here is the STL file and the view:

solidView.thumb.png.621773eeb4eb98011b058214b1667a31.png

The model is a Y letter whose top is partly flatten horizontally and partly square.

The Y top branches have a 45 degrees angle with the horizontal plane.

The is also, beneath, an intermediate plane with a 70 degrees angle with the horizontal plane.

The  intermediate plane is not intended to be supported.

-

-

-

[media=26604]

[/media]overhang60deg.png

With a overhang angle set to  60 degrees, there should be no support.

But see above, there are supports. Just like if the square tops of the Y had to

be supported.

Moreover, one support gets down to the build plate where it should stop

and rest on the intermediate plane.

-

-

-

overhang40deg.thumb.png.e0d5532c6a516559b8fe93618053efc8.png

overhang40deg.png

With a overhang angle set to  40 degrees, normal support kicks in, but

there is still one support getting down to the build plate where it should stop

and rest on the intermediate plane.

-

-

Here is my profile

My cura version: 2.3.1

-

Regards

Eric

solidView.thumb.png.621773eeb4eb98011b058214b1667a31.png

overhang40deg.thumb.png.e0d5532c6a516559b8fe93618053efc8.png

Edited by Guest

Well, hopefully you thought of this, but if you rotate it 90 degrees you won't have any overhangs anywhere. Cura lets you do the rotation - just click, then click on rotate icon in upper left area then drag it by 90 degrees.

But if you are just pointing out a bug then I've seen this bug also. I know - it sucks. I don't think this part actually needs support in this position but I would never print it in this position anyway as it would fall over so easily. One would need lots of brim.

But if you are just pointing out a bug then I've seen this bug also.  I know - it sucks.

Yes, I need this bug to be cleaned because it's annoying me for a much more complex print that I cannot rotate.

The bug was in towers which would get introduced for small layer parts even for top surfaces. These would then be introduced to the support of every layer below.

I think you can avoid this bug by disabling the Use Support Towers setting.

The bug was in towers

I am not using towers.

I tried conical support without success

May I try the current CuraEngine to see if the problem remains ?

Did you try it ?

Is it difficult to run the git version on debian 8.2 ?

Thanks

It's not so hard to get the source-version running on Debian. Take a look at the cura-build repository here: https://github.com/Ultimaker/cura-build#ubuntulinux

It's tested most often with Ubuntu but Debian should work just as well. You might run into a few missing dependencies or minor problems with some of the libraries it wants to compile, which will make take a sufficiently knowledgeable programmer a few hours to complete the build.

We're also quite near to releasing a public beta for 2.4. If you're slow, we'll catch up with you!

will make take a sufficiently knowledgeable programmer a few hours to complete the build.

OK I'll give it a try if needed. For now I will wait for 2.4

I found two work arounds for this bugg in 2.3.1:

- flatten horizontally the top surfaces

- thicken the model (plane or beam or whatever)

Thanks for your work

This slicer is giving very good results

Hi,

This bug is fixed in Cura 2.4, which will be out in a month or so.

I upgraded to 2.5 these days

To me, the bug is only partially fixed. Here is the remaining problem:

As shown higher in my image:  with an overhang angle set to  40 degrees, the support on the left side  was getting down to the build plate. But it should not, it should stop and rest on the intermediate plane.

With version 2.3 you can see that only one half of the left side go through the intermediate plane.

With 2.5 all the left side support goes through it, down to the build plate, which is worse.

As I understand there's no need to make the support forcibly touch the build plate.

Best regards and thanks for the effort

Edited by Guest