Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
JTBrown

Travel Avoid Distance

Are you sure you know what it means. I'm not certain but here's my understanding which could be wrong.

Each layer is thought by cura as a series of separate islands of plastic. If there is more than one island then it has to leave one island and travel to another across open space. Going from island 1 to 3 might normally have it pass right over island 2 but the avoid distance makes it go around island 2 and with a margin of space.

Are you sure you know what it means.  I'm not certain but here's my understanding which could be wrong.

Each layer is thought by cura as a series of separate islands of plastic.  If there is more than one island then it has to leave one island and travel to another across open space.  Going from island 1 to 3 might normally have it pass right over island 2 but the avoid distance makes it go around island 2 and with a margin of space.

Well yes, it means that it doesn't drag across already printed parts of the print at a designated height. It doesn't work!!! lol

"It doesn't work" is a terrible error description. You don't leave your car at the shop and just say "It doesn't work!", do you?

We need more information. What does the model look like? What does layer view look like. When you say "it doesn't work", exactly what's happening and what are you expecting to happen? Has it worked before or is this the first time? Etc.

• Like 1

"It doesn't work" is a terrible error description. You don't leave your car at the shop and just say "It doesn't work!", do you?

We need more information. What does the model look like? What does layer view look like. When you say "it doesn't work", exactly what's happening and what are you expecting to happen? Has it worked before or is this the first time? Etc.

Sorry! What I mean to say is whilst it was printing I notice a score line across the print where the nozzle was scraping across it, then I put in a value of 1mm and started the print again. The result of which was that it still scraped across the top of the print. I hope that this explains "It's not working". Once again I apologise.

No need to apologize :) It's just that it's difficult to help without a clear idea of what's happening.

I'm not sure, but I think you might expect the feature to work differently than it does. it will only avoid travelling across already printed parts if it's travelling from one island to another and needs to get the head around an island that is in the way of its destination.

In this picture you can see that the bottom arrow shows how it's travelling over already printed areas and the top arrow shows how it's avoiding an island.

travel_avoid.thumb.PNG.3676bd881185af6c619c334dbf74e0aa.PNG

Could you take a screenshot of the layer view at the layer where it's happening? Layer view is on the left side, click on the "eye" symbol and then scroll to the layer in question.

travel_avoid.thumb.PNG.3676bd881185af6c619c334dbf74e0aa.PNG

• Like 2