UM3, firmware 3.5 Feedback

ultiarjan

Posted · UM3, firmware 3.5 Feedback

Updated to firmware 3.5 today, here's some first remarks;

The update itself was fine, no issues.

when I started the first print after the update, I was forced to do a "buildplate calibration". Would prefer if the data would survive an update, but else I'dd rather have the message at the end of the update process iso only when starting a new print (fyi, I dont use auto bed level, all manual)

The first print after updating failed because the material was retracted so much that the first layer was missing material. I was printing single extrusion with the 2th nozzle. (sliced with cura 2.3.1)

When I print with the 2th nozzle only, the printer still first makes a change move to the 1st nozzle.

After I made a first successful print, I confirmed print removed, and walked the dog for half and hour. When I wanted to start the 2th print CURA had lost connection to the printer (on a wired network) "no access to print with this printer". But I did still see the camera feed in cura ..... the button "request access" did nothing. Did not want to restart CURA and loose the whole setup, so printed with USB.

Posted (edited) · UM3, firmware 3.5 Feedback

Apart from the forced bed levelling and the 'forgotten' retract those issues sound to me rather like Cura issues. I think the new beta fixes the single extrusion with the second core; at least according the change log.

Connection to the UM3 from Cura 2.3.1 seems a bit delicate to me. I sometimes have the situation that Cura doesn't find the UM3 automatically and also not on a network scan. However, if I add the ip number, it immediately finds and names the printer.

Edited by Guest

Normally the bed leveling data would survive an update, however, we changed this to be stored in a more logical way. The old storage method could mean you would use old data if you changed printcores. We intend not to change this again for future updates.

We also changed the XY calibration offset, however, at this data takes a lot more time to acquire, we did implement migrations for this data.

@Dim3nsioneer, do you have the printer connected with WiFi or cable?

• Like 1

Besides this calibration issue, I noticed also:

- on a material change the print head is no longer heated - material is cold retracted! Is this better or forgotten?

- there is definitely a calibration problem. Since the update I have problems as described in the warped glass plate topic. I my case I have bad 1st layer extrusion at the back of the plate. Never had it before... It only happens when the print size is close to the limits of the machine. Did the Z calibration again several times without any improvement. (manual and auto)

Besides this calibration issue, I noticed also:

- on a material change the print head is no longer heated - material is cold retracted! Is this better or forgotten?

- there is definitely a calibration problem. Since the update I have problems as described in the warped glass plate topic. I my case I have bad 1st layer extrusion at the back of the plate. Never had it before... It only happens when the print size is close to the limits of the machine. Did the Z calibration again several times without any improvement. (manual and auto)

The release notes of 3.5 give the answer to your first point: this is on purpose, to save the user time when the material was successfully deprimed after the most recent print.

On your second point: if your build plate is unflat, it matters where the calibration points are. V3.5 uses new measurement positions, and that might be unfavourable for you. Have you tried flipping the glass?

Another I noticed only after the update to 3.5:

if the build plate is already at target temperature before the print is started, it waits with "Preparing..." and never starts heating the print core.

if the build plate is already at target temperature before the print is started, it waits with "Preparing..." and never starts heating the print core.

When this happens, would you be able to send the log files? These can be copied to USB using the menu System -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Dump logs to USB.

Note, we are currently fixing a bug where the printer waits for a printcore to cool down when starting a single extrusion print. (The core isn't used, but heated to 175C for active leveling, and then cooled down again, problem is, it is waiting for it to be cooled down)

I'm experiencing more cool down problem with the print cores.

Everytime I abort a print, and follow the steps on the UM3, it just keeps cooling the printcore, without really cooling it. It gets stuck in that procedure.

Do you think that this problem will be solved when that bug is solved?

Which version of the firmware do you have - you can get that from the UM3 control panel. I have not experienced this issue. I guess on the rare occasions I abort a print I probably don't do the cooldown.

"Cooling" is a bit of a misnomer. In some cases it is actually heating up, retracting a bit, and cooling down. As it is actually disconnecting the filament from the PrintCore.

In newer firmware versions this process can be skipped, and if it is not skipped, changing material is a lot faster as we know the material is disconnected from the printcore.

• Like 1