Print Head Cover won't close

ASL_MILL

Posted · Print Head Cover won't close

Setting up our new 3 extended and can't get the printhead cover to close. The printhead cover was taped shut when we unboxed. We removed the tape to put in the BB printhead and the cover won't close. Tried to close it without the printheads installed, and it still won't close. The magnets appear to be spaced too far from the bolts.

Advice?

IMG_7804.thumb.JPG.0ec3c0b5af0a7f1e269c85288a3f906d.JPGCover is open and print heads are in.

IMG_8673.thumb.JPG.70cb151f1b8a4561da2b11c7e70dccef.JPG Won't stay closed

IMG_7321.thumb.JPG.0933852eb75dbcf692695ebfc5c83e3f.JPGMagnets won't engage

Hi and welcome,

Can you post photos to better understand the issue?

Wow that's weird. @IRobertI do you have any idea?

The magnets are glued in.  I don't see anyway to shift them.

Also, the small round magnets, can you try to push them a bit inside? Maybe they have slipped out?

I also just noticed this. Shouldn't this bar fully engaged in the block? Same issue front and back. I can push it all the way out.

IMG_0590.thumb.JPG.e7a9d7c867cd938b54ddd6653947b02e.JPG

Was this machine checked before it left the factory?

IMG_0590.thumb.JPG.e7a9d7c867cd938b54ddd6653947b02e.JPG

That's a good question. I see that slideblocks are black. The shaft should be inside the block. Move it yo a corner to avoid torsion onthe shafts and click it in.

The magnets look (I could be wrong) a bit out, mines are more 'in' and not glued, but my um3 is beta. I would drop a mail to the reseller asap with photos or this post link.

At least one of my magnets is not glued in (or it went loose) and sticked to the rod after the first print core insertion. I just put it back in and no problem so far. I have a stock released UM3 extended and my side blocks are white(ish/cream), not black. Have you modified them?

I was able to push the shaft back into the sideblock.  

The magnets are pushed all the way back into their plastic holders so I don't think they are extending out too far.  The magnets work and other magnets stick to the bolts, but even when I take both printheads out and press the cover closed and see that they are touching the bolts, they don't stick.  The cover itself is flexing like a spring and pushes the magnets away from the bolts when I let go.

@ASL_MILL I know is a silly question but have you check if there's anything between the fan/plastic area there? Is weird. Try to take out the cores and see if closes? (thinking outloud)

Can you make a video? I don't see anything different than my um3 that could do that.

Also afaik all printers are used to print once before shipping it (there's a print cube on the foam made with your printer, probably in silver/black pla).

Several testprints are made with every printer that leaves the factory, and one of them is in your styrofoam packaging (dual color piece).

The metal shaft is supposed to be clicked in the black sliderblock. Feel free to click it in.

Seems to me your printer had a rough ride on its way to you. How did the box look like?

How much do you want to do yourself to get the printer running? I have some tips for you. The front fan bracket should be hinged on the back of the printhead. Is the bracket attached to the hinge points?

Secondly, the front fan bracket may be bent a little. See this illustration.

bracket.thumb.PNG.c7db765a24a22abcf517946cae58d57c.PNG

You may carefully bend your bracket slightly to get it to click right.

Of course, you have every right to not do this and ask your reseller for support. You paid for a premium product, and I'm sorry to hear it did not arrive right.

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

Very interesting. I would remove both cores and investigate closely inside with a good flash light. If you just hold the cover lightly toward the position where it stop, you might be able to see the problem here. Also, as there is a fan inside the cover, -is this one installed right? Study the hinges to see there is no "sudden stop/hard stop" that's preventing a free swing in.

Maybe the taped cover is just used as a transport protection.

Well, just my 5 p.

Good luck.

Thanks.

Torgeir.

Good news! After some bending and twisting of the front fan bracket, I closes and stays in place as the printhead moves around. Thank you for the advice tomnagel.

The bad news is that I can't get it to print anything. I completed the setup steps and loaded a print onto the USB, but it just keeps telling me that "the difference between the height of the printcores exceeds realistic values."

???

Several testprints are made with every printer that leaves the factory, and one of them is in your styrofoam packaging (dual color piece).

The metal shaft is supposed to be clicked in the black sliderblock. Feel free to click it in.

Seems to me your printer had a rough ride on its way to you. How did the box look like?

How much do you want to do yourself to get the printer running? I have some tips for you. The front fan bracket should be hinged on the back of the printhead. Is the bracket attached to the hinge points?

Secondly, the front fan bracket may be bent a little. See this illustration.

You may carefully bend your bracket slightly to get it to click right.

Of course, you have every right to not do this and ask your reseller for support. You paid for a premium product, and I'm sorry to hear it did not arrive right.

Good news! After some bending and twisting of the front fan bracket, I closes and stays in place as the printhead moves around. Thank you for the advice tomnagel.

The bad news is that I can't get it to print anything. I completed the setup steps and loaded a print onto the USB, but it just keeps telling me that "the difference between the height of the printcores exceeds realistic values."

???

Maybe this post from @tomnagel can help you

https://ultimaker.com/reply/forward/168019

• Like 1

thanks for all the help neotko, successfully printing.

Posted (edited) · Print Head Cover won't close

thanks for all the help neotko, successfully printing.

So lowering the glass plate with the screws was the solution to your second problem?

And your printer was brand new? Did you touch the thumbscrews before?

Edited by Guest