Olsson Block on Ultimaker Original Plus?

Posted · Olsson Block on Ultimaker Original Plus?

Hi,

is there a possibility to mount the Olsson Block on Original Plus?

If NO - are there drawings/3D-Models of the block available? I would like to think about a solution to get the Olsson Block on UMO+ or think about an other solution.

Why? I read that many peoples are really satisfied with the Olsson Block, but i own an Original Plus.

Thanks for your help ;-)

There's no need - the UMO already takes multiple nozzle sizes. Although the typical nozzles from 3dsolex are smaller/shorter so you have to relevel the bed and also the bed will hit the fan shroud so first print this:

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/yafs-yet-another-fan-shroud-for-umo

He doesn't ask if there's or not need. Also aluminum UMO heater breaks quite fast after 12-20 nozzle swaps since the aluminum threads deform very fast. That's one of the many reasons I moved my heads to um2.

• Like 1

Hi @all,

thanks for your replies.

The reason why i'm thinking to "port" the Olsson Block to UMO+ is the fast and easy changing of nozzles as well as a lot of people are very satisfied with the Olsson Block.

And it's quite easy to get, also different nozzles.

An upgrade kit is quite expensiv, costs nearly the half of UMO+!! And i don't want to change the feeder, also dual fan is not necessary. Mostly i print ABS with fan speed (original UMO+ fan) around 30%.

As an mechanical engineer it's not the problem to design a fitting solution, also i maybe have the possibility to get some manufactured parts. But without knowing the dimensions of the block... The other way would be buying a Olsson Block, measure the parts and then design a suitable solution. But i would like to do the other way.

I also ordered E3D V6 Hotends. But it will take some time until i can test these...

@neotko - are the holes in the aluminum block on UMO the same diameters as for the Olsson? I don't remember. I'm worried he might have to change out his thermocouple for a pt100 temp sensor but the pt100 temp sensor isn't compatible with UMO electronics. So does he also have to buy a whole new controller board?

E3D V6 is great as long as you stay away from PLA.

Posted (edited) · Olsson Block on Ultimaker Original Plus?

UMO block heater is 6mm, the thermocoupler 2.9-3mm (is less than 3mm) should fit since the pt100 enters on an olsson block & umo alu block.

To connect a pt100 it should work with a e3d pt100 amplifier small board, but to use 24v on the 19V of the umo he might need to change some chip on the umo board, @meduza knows much more about that.

Basically the problem could be that there are no 19V heaters of 4mm dia.

Edited by Guest

@neotko - are the holes in the aluminum block on UMO the same diameters as for the Olsson?  I don't remember.  I'm worried he might have to change out his thermocouple for a pt100 temp sensor but the pt100 temp sensor isn't compatible with UMO electronics.  So does he also have to buy a whole new controller board?  

He has an UMO+ , I've always thought that has the UM2 electronics board....

@neotko - are the holes in the aluminum block on UMO the same diameters as for the Olsson?  I don't remember.  I'm worried he might have to change out his thermocouple for a pt100 temp sensor but the pt100 temp sensor isn't compatible with UMO electronics.  So does he also have to buy a whole new controller board?  

He has an UMO+ , I've always thought that has the UM2 electronics board....

Lol indeed i was confused by gr5 question. Indeed all um2 heater/pt100 works on a umo+

Olsson block as it is doesn't fit on umo (been there trying that).

Check the github of UM2+, there you have step files of the olsson. https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker2Plus

Thanks neotko, didn't think about that ;-)

First of all I'll try to get the E3D V6 working, then I'll decide if i think more about getting the Olsson Block on my UMO+. For printing PLA it could be still interesting...

Thanks for your help!

Sorry I got confused. I thought the UMO+ had the heated bed kit already. So I thought the UMO+ in the description was a typo. I personally have a UMO with HBK.

I guess then the temp sensor is the same. But the heater is the wrong size and the wrong wattage maybe as neo says. I usually defer to neotko on UMO issues. He has I think 3 of them and uses them all every day I think for his store.

So wattage is v^2/r where v is voltage and r is resistance. 3dsolex sells 25w, 35w, 40w, 50w heaters for UM2. Solving for r: r=v^2/w giving us 23, 16.5, 14.4, and 11.5 ohms respectively (notice higher power is lower resistance). Reversing equation again now for 19V we get: 15.6W, 22W, 25W, 31W respectively. so I recommend getting a 40W or 50W heater which on 19V will be 25W or 31W respectively. I know they have all of those values so if you can't find 50W in the online store just email them.

• Like 1

But again, UMO+ is 24v.... ;)

• Like 1

But again, UMO+ is 24v.... ;)

doh!

• Like 1