Horrible looking infill on Ultimaker 3

Dreyfusduke

Posted · Horrible looking infill on Ultimaker 3
13 hours ago, kmanstudios said:

Is this me being indiscriminate or is this not decent infill? This is using the basic settings, nothing really changed but the main temp from 200°C default to 195°C. This is 3.2 Beta. And, I have seen much worse infill in the earlier versions of Cura from about a year ago. But, is this not acceptable? The walls are really coming out nicely too. No priming tower or ooze shield.

Infill.thumb.jpg.f7db815d6cf3f53239e2b7f8d224ea16.jpg

I had a lot more trouble with infill in previous Cura versions. I'm now running Cura 3.2 Beta and it's much better. However, I still see (as in your print), that the infill still looks brittle. Depending on the print's use, you may need the infill to just hold the walls and the top surface, or you will need it to hold a lot of weight or torsion. If it's the second case, the infill should look better! I always tweak the infill line width and infill speed. It helps, but I guess a definitive solution should be found at a deeper level and not just tweaking all the time with settings.

I am not sure how you can say it looks brittle. The infill line width is larger than the walls and does not have the old underextrusion, cob-webby effect.

I ask about how you could see the 'brittle' for education. I ain't reaching into the buildplate to woggle around the lines. :)

I wish there was a nozzle where you could choose the diameter (like a camera shutter), I would use 1mm thick infill! No more brittle infill!

BTW, I'm using the 0.8mm printcore on the Ultimaker 3 and it prints spaghetti infill. :'D

I have not tried the spaghetti infill. I kind wonder what its purpose is. I did try to use it once and it shot infill lines way out all over the place. Have not bothered since.

I meant to mention that the infill in 3.2 to be superior to earlier versions as well and that is why I made sure to mention it as I did not want other users frustrated if they were not getting fairly automatically done infill like I got.

Hmmmm.  I'm still learning this medium, but when I look at the infill picture above, I don't see brittle.  I see a torsion box.   From that perspective, interior walls that look really weak on their own gain, and add, incredible strength when bonded to the walls, top and bottom, as infill is.  Gaps must be managed depending on stress points, but the infill's intrinsic appearance would not have alarmed me.

If the torsion box analogy holds, then testing an infill wall on an unfinished/failed print would give misleading feedback about its strength.  I have wood webbing inside the torsion box that holds my 600# CNC. I can crack this webbing with my hands, but when the top and bottom are glued and the joints immobilized, the table has no measurable deflection and has a failure load triple what I need.

Is it possible that infill enjoys the same benefits?

John

I think the reason for bad infill quality (strings, blobs, gaps near inner wall, etc) is that it's composed of separate lines touching inner walls, meaning that when nozzle reaches a wall the extrusion is paused, nozzle moves to another place and extrusion is resumed.

See Cura infill example: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T3uXRKftrXir3HCNmsG1PT-ECSr-S6OM/view?usp=sharing

During the movement the plastic ooze out and makes a mess. It could possibly be improved a bit by increasing the overlap.

For example Simplify3D has a different approach - infill is in a form of continuous single extrusion line whenever possible. It makes infill very strong, nicely fused with inner walls. It actually can work as an additional inner wall, reducing need for regular wall.

See Simplify3D infill example: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EOeuSM2D81NfiCy-Qq8nZPSSlFkxV26n/view?usp=sharing

Is it possible to have a continuous infill line in Cura?

infill_simplify3d.JPG

infill_cura.JPG

Try using Connect Infill Lines?

image.thumb.png.dffbf2892178678fd9314d91fe15630b.png

Might do the job??

• Like 2

Yes, that's what I was looking for. Thanks!

This should be enabled by default. The additional material cost is minimal but the quality improves, not only of infill but also of inner and even outer walls. Additionally the noise is significantly reduced.

In my Cura 4 it is on by default,and  I think it has already been for quite some time now. 

Could it be that you work with modified profiles, that are copied into new installations? 

Glad that did the trick.  I'm still using 3.4.1 and it is on by default as well.

I've been updating Cura for a while and I've never seen the connected infill lines, so it must have been enabled by default just in some more recent version.