Anybody tried Extruder GreenTEC and PVA in an UM3 or Dual Extruder in general?

StephanK

Posted · Anybody tried Extruder GreenTEC and PVA in an UM3 or Dual Extruder in general?

Seriously considering the Upgrade to an UM3 for the sake of water soluble supports.

But my problem is: I really like Extrudr GreenTEC as my default material (higher strength than PLA and heat resistant enough for prints left in the car - similar to Biofila PLAtec I suppose). But I am not sure if this is going to work with Ultimaker PVA supports and quite honestly, it is a bit pricey to just go ahead and order an UM3 to test it myself.

I don't think going back to PLA is something I want to do.

Posted (edited) · Anybody tried Extruder GreenTEC and PVA in an UM3 or Dual Extruder in general?

I suppose @foehnsturm might know more. But just fyi pva hardly sticks to pla, so it can't be worse :D

Pva needs a lot of expansion so the structure is solid and doesn't just hang on the pla. Ofc Most of the time works, but all depends on the object to print. And the default settings help a lot the make a stronger/bigger pva support structure.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Posted · Anybody tried Extruder GreenTEC and PVA in an UM3 or Dual Extruder in general?

My 5 cents..

Without these materials I can not say but you could try it out if nobody can help.

If you have some PVA material around then you could print a small layer of PVA and then on-top print Extrudr GreenTEC and see how it behaves.

If you don't have PVA around just buy some which would be a small investment compared to a UM3 for the sake of testing. And if successful then you already have PVA and if not then you saved a lot of money.

• Like 1

I did makerpoint pva-m today with biofilla platec. The adhesion was just as good (or bad) as with normal pla. So yes it works.

I have extrudr green tec so will also try that with pva... but it will have to wait till later.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your input. I just ordered a roll of PVA and will be experimenting on my 2+ before comitting.

I shall report what happens :)

• Like 1

Using 90% greentec filament atm. As already mentioned, adhesion to PVA is similar (mediocre) than with regular PLA. If there is a chance to reach the support sturctures for removal with some kind of tool I prefer Polysupport from Polymaker. Same surface quality without dissolving, but only if you can remove the support manually.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I tried Ultimaker PVA together with GreenTEC on an UM3. Printing GreenTEC on top of PVA works okay. However, printing PVA on top of GreenTEC doesn't work well (I tried to print PVA support structures on top of a GreenTEC brim). PVA will just not stick to GreenTEC.

I used GreenTEC in the past a lot with MakerBots and Prusas, and I got much better results that with PLA, so I loved that material. But the UM3 produces such great results with regular PLA that I don't need GreenTEC anymore just to have nice prints (unless you're after better heat resistance and sturdiness). I think I will just avoid GreenTEC in cases where support needs to be placed on top of the part. These are few cases. In most cases it should be fine.