just a simple "slice" button please!

Thomllama

Posted · just a simple "slice" button please!

OK, have used ever slicer from older Cura, Slic3r, S3d and even a few of the other odd balls ones.

I always end up back with Cura, it just works the best generally. Love the layout with 2.x and 2.4 has been a rather nice improvement.

One VERY annoying thing though. the constant auto slicing while I'm adjusting settings.. it causes regularly occurring lag while trying to get things done.. can't we just put a "slice now" button in so I can adjust all my settings before it starts to go to work? I know I can't be the only person this annoys :p

thanks . :)

This argument yet again. you may want to search this topic on the forum and be prepared to read pages and pages.

Short answer, This wont happen.

There has been plug-ins to do this on pre CURA 2.xx

It should not cause any delays by changing settings as it will just re-slice but you dont need to wait for it to finish before changing another setting. Just keep changing all your settings.

If you do get lag and cant continue to adjust settings then there is an issue that needs reporting for the software team to investigate.

Posted (edited) · just a simple "slice" button please!

This argument yet again. you may want to search this topic on the forum and be prepared to read pages and pages.

Short answer, This wont happen.

There has been plug-ins to do this on pre CURA 2.xx

It should not cause any delays by changing settings as it will just re-slice but you dont need to wait for it to finish before changing another setting. Just keep changing all your settings.

If you do get lag and cant continue to adjust settings then there is an issue that needs reporting for the software team to investigate.

It lags because it draws resources from the computer .. it's a rather simple thing .. and is also the #1 complaint about Cura. there is really no reason I could possibly think of not to implement it. Obviously if thee is such a heavy repeated complaint/discussion here about it you'd think they'd think about actually listening to the people and what they want/need.

Edited by Guest

I have personally not had issues with it and I am glad its their or I would have made changes and forgot to re-slice.

But I am a forgetful person and understand that it could be really annoying to others.

Yes Its simple for them to do and lots of people want it but it has been a dictatorship on this for years so i dont think it will change.

Maybe this time round they might listen :)

Posted (edited) · just a simple "slice" button please!

• User Makes A Change: "Save to File" disabled" & "Slice Me Now" enabled"
    • User clicks "Slice Me Now" and "Save to File" is enabled
    • User Makes another change: Go back to #1
    • Or User clicks on "Save to File" - Done.

Seems like simple logic to me. There is already apparently logic in the code to trigger Slicing when a change is made, make it trigger enabling "Slice Me Now" and disabling "Save to File" instead. Done.

Also, and IMO, worse, is that I have many times with many versions of Cura 2.x.x had it lock up and freeze in the middle of slicing after making quick changes - never to return. Only closing and re-opening of Cura (loosing all your changes) gets it back to auto-slicing again. So I always wait for slicing to finish before making another minor change. PITA.

Edited by Guest

---------

Also, and IMO, worse, is that I have many times with many versions of Cura 2.x.x had it lock up and freeze in the middle of slicing - never to return. Only closing and re-opening of Cura (loosing all your changes) gets it back to auto-slicing again. So I always wait for slicing to finish before making another minor change. PITA.

yes, I wont say it's happened a LOT but I have had it happen a few times myself as well..

For 2.3 and 2.4 you can download this plugin which will add a "pause" button to Cura:

https://github.com/fieldOfView/PauseBackendPlugin

Cura 2.5 will have this functionality built-in, but it will also have a mode that disables automatic slicing altogether (giving you that simple slice button, please!)

We actually just merged it.

To re-iterate this; We didn't see a very good reason to change this, until now. 2.5 will have (partial) multi-threaded slicing, which can in some cases mean that 100% of your CPU is used if you are slicing. In that case it's kinda nice to be able to not slice all the time.

While we were at it, it also "remembers" if a re-slice is required. If this is the case, it removes the output button (Stream to wifi, usb, save to file, etc) and replaces it with a "prepare" button. Once it's completed, you get output button back again.

Note that you still need to disable the auto slicing in preferences before this works.

All that being said; We did listen, we just did not agree. There is a difference there. I've also had a people tell me that the slicing was faster when we simply hid the slicing progress.

• Like 1

We actually just merged it.

To re-iterate this; We didn't see a very good reason to change this, until now. 2.5 will have (partial) multi-threaded slicing, which can in some cases mean that 100% of your CPU is used if you are slicing. In that case it's kinda nice to be able to not slice all the time.

While we were at it, it also "remembers" if a re-slice is required. If this is the case, it removes the output button (Stream to wifi, usb, save to file, etc) and replaces it with a "prepare" button. Once it's completed, you get output button back again.

Note that you still need to disable the auto slicing in preferences before this works.

All that being said; We did listen, we just did not agree. There is a difference there. I've also had a people tell me that the slicing was faster when we simply hid the slicing progress.

so wait.. it's in 2.4? I don't see it in the pref's . or is it going into 2.5 only? have a beta of 2.5 out yet?

For 2.3 and 2.4 you can download this plugin which will add a "pause" button to Cura:

https://github.com/fieldOfView/PauseBackendPlugin

Cura 2.5 will have this functionality built-in, but it will also have a mode that disables automatic slicing altogether (giving you that simple slice button, please!)

I can't get the plug in to work... :/

so wait.. it's in 2.4?  I don't see it in the pref's . or is it going into 2.5 only?  have a beta of 2.5 out yet?

It's going to be in 2.5> There is no beta of that yet.

K, will keep an Eye out . :)

And I can't read your mind or access your computer... :/

Could you elabotate on what is (not) happening?

The plugin must be installed into a folder named "PauseBackendPlugin" (not eg "PauseBackendPlugin-2.4"). Also make sure you get the correct version; 2.4 for Cura 2.4 (now the default version) or 2.3 for Cura 2.3 (see the "Branch:" dropdown).

2.5 will have (partial) multi-threaded slicing

I'm just going to let that sink in.

• Like 1

How come something like this is under development when it is actually not really a problem, but allowing people to print multiple models in one at a time mode, which they have been doing, has been removed from the software????

• Like 1

How come something like this is under development when it is actually not really a problem, but allowing people to print multiple models in one at a time mode, which they have been doing, has been removed from the software????

It's not removed. It was never there for multi extrusion in the first place. But do I get what you are saying correct? Now that we did what half the regulars on the forum have been asking for, it's still not okay? I'm confused now.

And I can't read your mind or access your computer... :/

Could you elabotate on what is (not) happening?

The plugin must be installed into a folder named "PauseBackendPlugin" (not eg "PauseBackendPlugin-2.4"). Also make sure you get the correct version; 2.4 for Cura 2.4 (now the default version) or 2.3 for Cura 2.3 (see the "Branch:" dropdown).

it wasn't doing anything.. but i got it once I read your response... I had to take off the "-2.4" from the folder title... now I have to go play and see .

Thanks.. :)

Lol read my latest post on the other thread, I suspect we are confused:P

Also note that half of the functionality was developed by an external developer (me), and integrated into the development version of Cura.

• Like 1

Also note that half of the functionality was developed by an external developer (me), and integrated into the development version of Cura.

Ya!! and big thumbs up man!! only use the plug in a couple times now but MAN . it makes everything soooo much smoother and easier!! even did a little, super quick U-tube vid on it!! :) .

You're welcome, glad it works for you and thanks for the video; you do a better job at explaining you need to rename the folder than I do on github.

You're welcome, glad it works for you and thanks for the video; you do a better job at explaining you need to rename the folder than I do on github.

ya, that confused me till you responded to my post here, then it clicked.. :)