Replacement Stepper motor Ultimaker 2 Y Axis

Pakos

Posted · Replacement Stepper motor Ultimaker 2 Y Axis

Hello,

I am in search for a cheap alternative of the Y Axis stepper motor.

This is the serial number of the broken one: SY42STH38-1684A

I have been doing some searching of my own on the internet but without any luck.

I have come across some Nema 14 or 17 Stepper motors, but since there are so many types of them.

I don't know which one to choose. Can someone put a link here?

Thanks

Posted (edited) · Replacement Stepper motor Ultimaker 2 Y Axis

https://www.makerpoint.nl/nl/ultimaker-xy-motor-um2.html

not the cheapest maybe.... but you're sure it's the correct one...

I agree, it will fit for sure. But Nema fits too, and is cheaper too.

Only need help finding the right one.

I'll keep your suggestion in mind, incase nobody finds anything else.

Thanks for your reply.

Edited by Guest

not every nema 17 will fit. The xy motors are relative short so be sure to check the dimensions.

Exactly. NEMA 17 is not a motor standard as most people think. It's just the the size of the mounting flange - 1.7" x 1.7". There's no specification of power/torque/length/speed/resolution/pretty much anything else whatsoever. So be careful there.

Edited by Guest

After some searching on Aliexpress, i have come across this stepper motor. It's a lot cheaper then the other ones.

https://tinyurl.com/m53xb6x

Everything about it seems ok to me, except for the dimensions. It is 42x40mm... But that shouldn't be a big deal i guess. Whether it will work, I do not know yet. But I'll keep you informed.

Edited by Guest

After some searching on Aliexpress, i have come across this stepper motor. It's a lot cheaper then the other ones.

https://tinyurl.com/m53xb6x

Everything about it seems ok to me, except for the dimensions. It is 42x40mm... But that shouldn't be a big deal i guess. Whether it will work, I do not know yet. But I'll keep you informed.

I would not start using Chinese stuff in your Ultimaker.

It is really wasting the potential of the machine and i think it might even damage some of the electronics. Not sure just would not risk it myself.

• Like 1

You know, if you have a nice car, you wouldn't put poor quality parts or fuel in it.

Why go cheap on your Ultimaker replacement motor?

I think the extra money spent on a known-good replacement will save you some frustrations in the future.

I would just buy the same model, isn't easy to find, but is cheaper than getting directly to UM.

https://www.pololu.com/product/1200

The thing, that ofc you should know, is that UM sells them more expensive because

- Cable Pairs are twisted (10mins if you do it and you could break a cable)

- Cable comes with the correct connector ready to plug (the cheapest decent Crimper cost 50€ - Japan quality, works nice)

So, that's where the extra 10€ go to ;)

But indeed you could get a china one, I would triple check the specs of size, amps, etc. I don't thing you can actually damage something, but you can if you don't know how to do this stuff properly. So... Just thing that the UM2 board costs 320€, and the motor 20-35€

Those are not the right ones.

I went to the store without checking and bought them wrong.

UM2 right ones are SY42STH38-1684A (at least on mine).

Ended up buying again