Steps Per E

rbc1225

Posted · Steps Per E

What is the "Steps Per E" used for in Cura? I assume normally on the Ultimaker the value in Merlin and Cura match but when I do that on my Prusa it seems as though it spits out more product than required. Just trying to get a handle on getting Cura up and running.

Posted · Steps Per E

It provides a way to override the steps-per-e setting in your firmware (the number of stepper steps required to pull 1mm of filament into your extruder). It gets output in the preamble of the gcode file as an M92 command, which should cause the printer (if it honors the command) to use that value for the print (and any subsequent prints until it is reset).

It's not used anywhere else in the calculations that inside Cura, afaik. The amount of extrusion in the gcode - the E values - are solely based on the layer height, nozzle/wall width, and the filament width (and the length of the segment being printed).

If you know the steps-per-e for your printer, then enter it in the preferences for Cura, and it won't change anything when you print. Also make sure that the filament diameter is set correctly for your filament.

Posted · Steps Per E
    It provides a way to override the steps-per-e setting in your firmware (the number of stepper steps required to pull 1mm of filament into your extruder). It gets output in the preamble of the gcode file as an M92 command, which should cause the printer (if it honors the command) to use that value for the print (and any subsequent prints until it is reset).

It's not used anywhere else in the calculations that inside Cura, afaik. The amount of extrusion in the gcode - the E values - are solely based on the layer height, nozzle/wall width, and the filament width (and the length of the segment being printed).

If you know the steps-per-e for your printer, then enter it in the preferences for Cura, and it won't change anything when you print. Also make sure that the filament diameter is set correctly for your filament.

Ahhhh Ok so it is an override, that is what I wanted to know. I think I got Cura figured out at least for now. Take a look at this and tell me what you think.

I don't know what I was doing stupid earlier.

• 9 months later...

Yes, Cura doesn't care what the steps-per-mm setting for e is. If you include a value in the settings, it will put that into the gcode as an M92 command at that start of the print. But that's the only place it's used. If you don't include a non-zero value, nothing is put in the gcode, and the printer uses whatever value is in its config EEPROM.

Other than that, the steps-per-e has no bearing on anything Cura does, or the gcode it outputs.

On an Ultimaker 1, with the V2 Extruder with the latest knurled bolt, and the spring-tensioner block, the 'correct' value is somewhere around 832. It varies a little depending on the hardness of the filament, and the tension of the spring. And, in the end, anything within a few percent of that is going to work fine.

Posted · Steps Per E

Here you can calclulate: http://reprap.org/wiki/Triffid_Hunter%27s_Calibration_Guide#E_steps

I just do write if anyone more seek for this.

UM math is: (200*16)*(49/8)/(7,5*3,14159)=831,85 - for v3 knurled bolt.

Well I can't find it in this version. Many materials vary quite a bit so I want it bound to material.