Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
YarinMobius

Temperture, Closed chamber for my printer

Posted (edited) · Temperture, Closed chamber for my printer

Hi everyone,

Our printer here in the studio works great.

Nevertheless, it does this weird thing sometimes when it prints, a layer saparates from the layer next to it and the part comes out not strong as we would like.

I was thinking it's because of suddon changes in temperture in the room (a cool breeze maybe etc'...).

do you have any idea what's the problem ? is it the slicing software ?

Also, I was thinking about building a plastic cage around the printer to keep temperture steady and prevent unwanted changes, can that help? did anyone ever build one and can share some thoughts ?

attached is a pic of the bad print.

Thanks.

Yarin

2.thumb.jpg.b80e1e8ead1660b0c2ce76d402ac1fc0.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.b80e1e8ead1660b0c2ce76d402ac1fc0.jpg

Edited by Guest

Posted · Temperture, Closed chamber for my printer

That looks like Z issues. I think your bed stops moving for a layer or two so you get that extra thick layer, then it suddenly drops a mm or so and you get underextrusion or a gap, then it stops moving for another layer and gives you an extra thick layer again.

Try cleaning your Z screw. Does it usually happen at about the same distance from the bottom of the part? Often having one person slide the bed up and down with 2 hands and the other using a fingernail to insert some paper towel or tissue into the threading is all you need to do. Keep in mind it's a triple helix so you need to get all 3 threads (unlike say a normal screw which is a single spiral).

Also add a tiny bit of grease of course.

• Like 1

A quick way to test if it is a heat retention issue is follow Erin@Fbrc8's suggestion (and a few others, she was just the first to tell me). Just tape a bit of plastic or bubble wrap in front of the open area. I would not cover the entire thing as it would close off the top. This may contribute to a heat build up in the other direction.

• Like 1

I think gr5 is right, that it is a z-stage problem. But don't only look at the z-screw, check the z-bearings.

Lift the bed to the nozzle, and then push it down. or put a full filament spool on the bed. Do you feel/see/hear a point where it doesn't go smooth? With a filament spool it shouldn't get stuck.

If you want to check your z-bearings in detail, unscrew the z-nut from the bed. The bed is then free to move up and down, and you should feel almost no friction over the complete range.

• Like 1