Dual Extrusion UM2+ Concept (and maybe other models)

Posted · Dual Extrusion UM2+ Concept (and maybe other models)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the nozzle carriage (or whatever you call it) kind of designed for dual extrusion? The nozzle as shipped is off to the left as you look into the printer from the front. To the right is, IIRC a hole and space for guess what? Another nozzle! Then a printed upper plastic part of the carriage to convey the filament and a second filament feed mechanism... we're done!

Or am I missing something here? Please advise, thanks in advance.

Les

Posted (edited) · Dual Extrusion UM2+ Concept (and maybe other models)

Dear Les,

At first they were planning on making an upgrade for the ultimaker 2 to make it dual extrusion. However the fixed position dual extrusion turned out to give a lot of problems. That is why ultimaker adviced people to keep it single extrusion. Quality over functionality so to say. I still believe the upgrade is around here somewhere, but the ultimaker 3 does not have a moving head without a reason:p so I would not advice upgrading your ultimaker 2 or 2+ for dual extrusion.

Kind regards,

Job van Gennip

Edited by Guest

Lol. I would definatly advice to upgrade your um2 to dual extrusion..... just not with two fixed nozzles.....

I indeed meant i would not use the standard upgrade from ultimaker with the two fixed nozzles you are right i should have been clearer.

Lol. I would definatly advice to upgrade your um2 to dual extrusion..... just not with two fixed nozzles.....

Hi what do mean with not two fixed nozzles? What would yoy recommend? I'm planning to put the second extruder in my UM2+ extended with a kit. I don't want to buy it if it doesn't work correctly.

Thanks.

Hi what do mean with not two fixed nozzles? What would yoy recommend? I'm planning to put the second extruder in my UM2+ extended with a kit. I don't want to buy it if it doesn't work correctly.

Thanks.

See this thread:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/10657-a-different-multi-extrusion-approach-um-tool-printhead-changer

So let me see if i understand correctly after reading the forums:

1) We still don't have a extruder kit that works right. Everything is still in "working progress" after two years of development (since the ultimaker dev team decided to abandon the UM2/+ and completely redesign the extruder for UM3, a lot of people abandoned the UM2+ dual extruder).

2) Active members like foehnsturm and ultiarjan are the only one with a prototype with dual head instead of dual hot-end. It works as far as i can tell from the demos, but it's still a prototype meaning, no final product, no date of arrival, or details for how to build the dual head yourself (which i think is gonna be complicated.)

3) There are a lot of issues with power consumption, hot end temperature, hot bed leveling and finally the firmware. It seems people use the tinkergnome custom firmware for dual extruding but the stable version is only for UM2. not for UM2+ extended dual. (see link). The latest firmware is a prerelease for testing purposes, the stable release of the custom firmware doesn't have the UM2+ extended dual.

4) All those dual extruders kit like ultimaker2x or E3D Chimera seems a little shady. I don't know if they work or not. Some people seems to make it work.

So for the moment, as far as i can see, only UM3 has a great dual extruder, the rest of us with UM2+ have to deal with the fact that we may never upgrade to dual extruder.

Edited by Guest

There is one more concept that I have proposed...

Candy Cane Filament Concept

Les

So let me see if i understand correctly after reading the forums:

1) We still don't have a extruder kit that works right. Everything is still in "working progress" after two years of development (since the ultimaker dev team decided to abandon the UM2/+ and completely redesign the extruder for UM3, a lot of people abandoned the UM2+ dual extruder).

2) Active members like foehnsturm and ultiarjan are the only one with a prototype with dual head instead of dual hot-end. It works as far as i can tell from the demos, but it's still a prototype meaning, no final product, no date of arrival, or details for how to build the dual head yourself (which i think is gonna be complicated.)

3) There are a lot of issues with power consumption, hot end temperature, hot bed leveling and finally the firmware. It seems people use the tinkergnome custom firmware for dual extruding but the stable version is only for UM2. not for UM2+ extended dual. (see link). The latest firmware is a prerelease for testing purposes, the stable release of the custom firmware doesn't have the UM2+ extended dual.

4) All those dual extruders kit like ultimaker2x or E3D Chimera seems a little shady. I don't know if they work or not. Some people seems to make it work.

So for the moment, as far as i can see, only UM3 has a great dual extruder, the rest of us with UM2+ have to deal with the fact that we may never upgrade to dual extruder.

1>

there will indeed be no official Ultimaker upgrade.

2>

There are a few more prototypes out there,

The watercooled setup of @crema

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/17656-ultimaker-2-dual-extruder-einstellen

nozzle lift with a switching mechanism;

http://www.khwelling.nl/3d.um2s.php

But indeed the @foehnsturm tool changer is probably the easiest way to go if you want to upgrade a ultimaker2 to dual extrusion. It's beta tested by about 10 people (rough guess) and the needed firmware is available thanks to @tinkergnome. Release is expected next month, but it will still be mostly DIY, it's not plug and play but it's also not too complicated. Comparable I guess with the skill level needed to install the UM2+ upgrade kit.

3>

Not really, the firmware for the tool changer has it all covered.

4>

In general I'd stay away from any kit that does not offer either a lifting system or separate heads, to move the nozzle not in use out of the way.

• Like 2

But indeed the foehnsturm tool changer is probably the easiest way to go if you want to upgrade a ultimaker2 to dual extrusion. It's beta tested by about 10 people (rough guess) and the needed firmware is available thanks to tinkergnome. Release is expected next month, but it will still be mostly DIY, it's not plug and play but it's also not too complicated. Comparable I guess with the skill level needed to install the UM2+ upgrade kit.

I will indeed wait his prototype. It seems the only working one.

Thanks for the reply

Edited by Guest