Extruder Feeder clicking noise

Posted · Extruder Feeder clicking noise

When a retraction occurs, the Extruder Feeder makes a loud clicking noise. It still seems to work perfectly but its an irritating sound. Is there a way to reduce this noise?

Sounds like the normal retraction noise I think, though if you want to send a video I could listen to it. You could turn off retraction, but the quality of your prints will suffer.

Sounds like the normal retraction noise I think, though if you want to send a video I could listen to it. You could turn off retraction, but the quality of your prints will suffer.

Its fairly loud, made even more so by the normal quiet operation of the UM2+. I was just wondering if there is something to check to see if maybe something is not operating as smooth as it should be. Its only really noticeable when I have z-hop settings in S3D.

A video or recording of the sound should probably help us define if the sound is out of the ordinary or not.

Have you checked your feeder tension? Also, what filament as some will bind a bit on itself creating more friction from the spool?

Not sure where the feeder tension is set. At a guess, if its the little switch above the feeder lever, its in the center.

PLA, Ultimaker and MakerGeek brands, both do it.

The tension may be a problem then if you are experiencing it across multiple filaments. Sometimes a spool may not be wound just right. I had binding problems on my first spool of CPE+, but not the second one.

I think SandervG's idea about a recording of some kind is a great idea. I have learned the sounds of my particular printer, but others have vast experience with many types and such. I know that fbrc8-erin is one of those people as well as Team Ultimaker.

The tension may be a problem then if you are experiencing it across multiple filaments. Sometimes a spool may not be wound just right. I had binding problems on my first spool of CPE+, but not the second one.

This issue tends to show up for me with a squeaking noise as the filament rubs against the feeder in an odd manner. I have seen some printed solutions that guide the filament better, I may try one of those.

I think SandervG's idea about a recording of some kind is a great idea.

I plan on it, the next time I do a z-hop print

So while not exactly the same sound (this one occurs at all times, not just during retraction) I am having some serious sound issues with the feeder. I have made an audio recording of it, but this forum doesn't allow attachments.

Its just a loud grinding/clicking noise, at all times. It went for about 6 hours, and then stopped, and then for a couple minutes, and then stopped. Its still printing great, and it doesn't look like the feeder is chewing up the filament, but the noise is really bad.

I am going to take the feeder apart (maybe there is something stuck in there?) is there anything I need to worry about when doing this?

As an aside, its very very difficult to feed filament into the feeder. It has been since day one. 9 times out of 10 the filament gets caught on something when I try and push it in, so I have to pull it out, and try and feed it in again, over and over until eventually I get it. I know there is a solution to make the lever easier to pull (a little robot print) but is there a solution to make putting filament in the feeder easier?

Opening it up is not difficult and seems like a good idea. Just put the tension indicator to minimum, and open the case with the four screws.

Don't forget to set the tension back in the middle position.

And do you make sure the tip you feed in is straight, ideally even pointy?

If the filament has an edge due to how you broke or cut off the tip could make it more likely to get caught behind an edge. Also if it is bent and not straight.

When you put the feeder back, also make sure the leveling screw is in the housing, and its head is not sticking out.

And do you make sure the tip you feed in is straight, ideally even pointy?

If the filament has an edge due to how you broke or cut off the tip could make it more likely to get caught behind an edge. Also if it is bent and not straight.

Yes, I make a clean cut. I have tried cutting it flat and at an angle. I also straighten the filament out as much possible. It is pretty clear that if its not going in at an exact angle (which I have yet to determine) that it just gets wedged behind something. If I rotate the printer I have less trouble. Is there something I can print that will guide it within the feeder?

When you put the feeder back, also make sure the leveling screw is in the housing, and its head is not sticking out.

Thanks for the heads up.

I am having the same problem. It is not under extrusion, I have fought that battle. This is a much harder impacting sound. I can feel it during retractions, not during printing. I think it is the bearings. I have some more bearings on order, and will let you know if it fixes the problem.

I ordered and installed new bearings in the extruder... zero improvement.

Further investigation reveled that it was the screws that hold the motor together that had come loose. Eventually the motor screws got so loose the stepper rotor was rubbing on the stator and causing under extrusion. tightening the screws that hold the motor stack together solved the problem immediately.

• Like 1

Necroposting here -- I just had this problem on my S3 along with intermittent material feed error messages.  I fixed it by opening and cleaning the feeder.  During the process I removed a shard of black plastic from the spring.  It looked like some Tough PLA, maybe 10mm long and squashed in the middle.  I've had a few times where loading the filament was difficult and I had to really shove it in, so I bet some PLA sharded off into the feeder and got crushed by the spring until it started interfering with the motor.  The clicking noise went away and the printer is humming along just fine now. 🙂

• Like 1