Making flexible sliding doors with the ultimaker

swepet

Posted · Making flexible sliding doors with the ultimaker

Just wanted to share something i been working on, making flexible parts with PLA (with regular PLA, i have not tried special flexible PLA).

Sliding doors, to be more precise. Here is how i did the door..

The bottom (flexible part) of the door is 0,3mm thick, the ribs are 3mm wide and 3mm high (makes total door height = 3,3mm), and the spacing between them are 1 mm. Door is printed with a layer height of 0.1mm, making the flexible part 3 layers. The trays the door slide in i made 5mm wide..

And it doesn't feel like it would break of stress, i think it will last a long time..

So remember the Ultimaker can make flexible sliding doors if you need that in your next project :-)

Indeed, impressive :D I wonder how good it will hold up to lots of bending. Or will it fail to something similar to metal fatigue.

Awesome :)

I have read that PLA is more rigid than ABS so i though it would broke easily.

As Daid, I wonder how much it will last.

Great job, thanks for sharing!

Nice one. Are there any files of it online, so we can replicate your beautiful thing? :lol:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:16550

Here is some files !! I have removed the ammo parts of it and also tried to reduced material used. Haven't printed the new design but hope i didn't make any fatal mistakes,..

About the strength of the flexible part, i think that none of the flexible segments is bent more then 10 degrees, since the bend is divided over a lot of segments..

Also i think flexible parts like this would make a nice screen around a lamp or other things :-)

Very cool!

really amazing.

how it is holding up to constant use ?

Ian