Severe under-extrusion part-way through print - any ideas?

Posted · Severe under-extrusion part-way through print - any ideas?

Hi, I've been trying to print a fairly large part for a few weeks now. I started with ColorFabb XT, then tried ColorFabb nGen and finally ColorFabb PLA/PHA. All have suffered from under-extrusion and. at least with the nGen, warping so bad as to make the part unusable (except that it was unusable anyway due to the under-extrusion). The machine is an Ultimaker 2 with Olsson block.

During the switch to PLA/PHA I also switched to a brand-new 0,4 mm stainless steel nozzle (I didn't have a brass one) and changed the teflon hot-end isolator for a new one.

Settings:

nozzle: 0.4 mm stainless steel

temperature: 210 degrees

layer height 0.2 mm

speed: 40 mm/s

fan: 100%

infill: 100%

The object has walls and base 2.4 mm thick. It started OK, including the soldi base and about the first 1 cm of walls. Then it started to show under-extrusion. I tuned the temperature up and down 5 degrees, material flow to 110% and 100% and speed to 80%. However, none of these helped. The majority of the print is completely porous and flexible. Images below.

Any ideas?

IMG_8050.thumb.JPG.f597acca740eaabca98821eb847f7620.JPG

IMG_8051.thumb.JPG.08130e58c1050704cd2952c4ec839fe1.JPG

IMG_8053.thumb.JPG.847386c4763dbfb75cbd82d0705ca199.JPG

IMG_8050.thumb.JPG.f597acca740eaabca98821eb847f7620.JPG

IMG_8051.thumb.JPG.08130e58c1050704cd2952c4ec839fe1.JPG

IMG_8053.thumb.JPG.847386c4763dbfb75cbd82d0705ca199.JPG

I don't think so. (1) I was careful with retraction to avoid this problem; (2) I've checked the filament itself and found no problem of "eating".

Reading some other posts I tried reducing the temperature to 195 degrees. Using the "Move filament" control I got nice strings of filament out of the nozzle. See the picture. Using a calliper I measured this at between 0.32 and 0.56 mm diameter. So it seems to flow OK at this temperature.

IMG_8062.thumb.JPG.2bce76c7dfaffe303e3bff734803ff7c.JPG

So I had another go at the print. This is what I found:

IMG_8056.thumb.JPG.b694217206ea1807505cd5f312a64849.JPG

And here is a detail:

IMG_8061.thumb.JPG.bdd78a7d4726c396b255d207be0e260d.JPG

After this I looked at the filament driver (the entrainure) and, following a video on the Ultimaker site, reduced the tension (white indicator to the highest position), though, to be honest, there was no obvious change.

Then I modified the temperature again, to 200 degrees. Watching the machine it seemed OK for the first 10 minutes. Then it started showing signs of under-extrusion again, so I increased the temperature to 205 degrees. It got better, but after leaving it for a while I returned to find this:

IMG_8063.thumb.JPG.77bf26444e357e03404a55870f5bf5bc.JPG

Obviously I've aborted the print now and I've given up. It's looking like I can't print anything now, at least with this nozzle. As I said, it was a new one. More accurately, it was an unused 3dSolex one bought 2 years ago.

I'd say a slow jam. Basically a slightly blocked nozzle. I had the same results when mine was a little blocked. Started well, then went to hell. Also if you have too much cool air blowing in the room, like if you put your UM in an aircooled rack.

First of all at 40mm/sec and .2mm layers you shouldn't be going below 225C. That's pretty high volume for a 0.4mm nozzle. You can just barely achieve that at 200C but you will get some mild underextrusion on even a brand new printer with a brass nozzle.

With a steel nozzle though you need to go another 5C hotter so I wouldn't go below 230C (steel doesn't transmit heat as well so it will be cooler than the block).

But I ahve to agree you do have some issues with your printer. I'm pretty sure you can print just fine at 20mm/sec and 225C but if you want to print at the speeds you used to print at then you are going to have to fix this printer. I would look at the list that neotko sent you but most likely it's the teflon part so I would start with that.