first 3d model, warhound titan

kingcatwell

Posted · first 3d model, warhound titan

So i got my Ultimaker in January , and like any sane individual i set myself a massive goal for my first print. To make a warhound titan.

heres the vid showing the finished result

IMG_1210_zps5cf3e9ee.jpg

Now im pretty much printing and sculpting like a madman every day, cheers ultimaker!

• Like 1

Epic!!! how much post work did you do? Do you have any pics of the model before the post work? You have alot of nice details in there, did those come out of the ultimaker like that?

Now that is what the Ultimaker is made for WOW !

did you also draw the CAD drawing ?

I would love to see a rundown on the separate parts, and how you printed these.

Cheers all!

Most of the detail came out with the machine, the post work was just fixing some errors and smoothing it all off. I smoothed it off with a mini drill, a soldering iron, a little milliput, but mostly with car spray filler primer.( i need to get another can of that. i've been trying to paint some of my latest printed models without it and the grain is visible through the paint)

This was also printed out mainly with intersections, before i realised that cura doesn't like intersections, so a lot of the rivets and details came out quite rough.

It was printed using Curas quick print settings, lately I've switched to the advanced settings so things have gotten way finer (and smaller).

I sculpted it using maya (I've been doing cg for 15 years more or less) and it took a month and a half to print (some of that time was taken up by my first blockage). here's a screen grab of it all broken down.

It was a lot of work, but worth it. I've got plenty more stuff under way. So stay tuned and pass it on.

Screenshot2013-04-20at160456_zps1cca535a.png

thats stunning.

what layer height and speeds were you printing ?

also did you print these parts with supports (cut away later) or without ?

big question, are you going to share your stl files on thingiverse, so the rest of us can have a try at this monster ?

would be really cool to print a few and have a table top battle ;-)

very cool.

Ian :-)

Thanks Ian,

The layer height varies between pieces, some were done with quick and fast (structural), some more detailed pieces were done with high quality. It was made before i'd dared to use the advanced settings. there was a lot of support material.

Gw would kill me if i put this up on any site, theres already been takedowns and cease and desists sent to peep's modelling stuff in their universe and hosting it. Fortunately they do allow one offs, ergo the large amount of scratch built titans out there. Also personally i'd rather make stuff and sell physical things than sell .stl's.

Piratebay's Physible section is made for this sort of thing.

But I understand not wanting to share the models, a lot of hard work went into the 3d work alone.

Are you willing to share the model to Ultimaker? It would make an awesome showpiece for our cabinet of awesome prints.

(Full Attribution will go to you, and we can put up a sign with links to your website or anything you want)

I'm seriously impressed with the detail of the sculpting and the printing. Awesome job, I'm already looking forward to seeing it painted.

Hmm share the model, you mean I send you guys the stl's. As that would be a problem because the files a mess and it was built as i was learning to print so the pieces are in varying states of that learning. If I was to do it again now I'd do it very differently which means changing each of the 150+ parts... :oops: .

Also i didn't save alot of the stls on my card like i do now ( i deleted them to save space)and some of the pieces didn't come out too well and needed fixing in post.

So all in all it would require an overhaul for someone else to use the files and not have an aneurism.

I'm building a lot of new stuff with the ultimaker which may be more user friendly that might be better suited to send you guys. At some point in the future i'll go back to the warhound file and sort it out, but that wont be any time soon. Thanks for the offer though. :mrgreen:

holy shit dude!!!! Frckn awesome!!!

I am going to watch the video again.

Too bad the model can not be shared.. i am looking forward towards your next design with anticipation!

Hi

I am making 3d meshes of terminators for 40k but I would love to have a Titan. Do you have the maya file? Everyone is aching for you to share. I know you spent a lot of time on it but it is an awesome mesh.

Wow! This is very cool! If you change your mind about selling / sharing the model, consider CGTrader, we'd be more than happy to help you sell it :)

Wow! This is very cool! If you change your mind about selling / sharing the model, consider CGTrader, we'd be more than happy to help you sell it :)

if your interested in buying and selling, try and keep your business to PMs please.

Your posts are starting to smell of advertisement and spam !

Ian

Theres a number of reasons why i can't share it. like i want to sell it, i didn't do all that work for nothing. but i cant sell the stls for copyright reasons anyway as only one can be made for sale.

Personally i see my ultimaker as a tool for making physical products for physical sale, i dont see the digital marketplace side working as well as it does for other industries.

Anyway ive just finished assembling my new model, i'll post that once i've finished editing the video.

if your interested in buying and selling, try and keep your business to PMs please.

Your posts are starting to smell of advertisement and spam !

Ian

Hey Ian, will do :) Thanks for your feedback!

My current project is getting there, just need to clean model, split into sections and wait for my printer to arrive?!

3D_zpsb46d8a3c.png

exploded_zps98f8728f.png

uhhh i like it :-)

Ian

actually what software are you using for your modelling ?

Ian :-)

I use lightwave. But I need to clean the mesh then split. I can't find any splitting programs that break a model into parts for printing.

mmm yeah i use cinema4d and i guess I would just have to select all the object related polygons and split it off as a new object... but an automatic process... that would be nice...

share it! share it! share it! ;)

Man, i wish i could fast forward my learning curve for Zbrush so i could also start making these awesome designs.

*jealous*.

zBrush works quite fine for cutting up a model in parts.