Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
awydra

What is the highest printing temperature for Ultimaker?

Hi guys,

I was thinking to try do do some experiment with printing with polycarbonate. I even found a nice source (see link below):

https://ultimachine.com/content/polycarbonate-3mm-clear-1lb

The only thing is that on the website they recommend to print at 265 C... Do you guys think that Ultimaker can do it? ...or it will just die suddenly :eek: ?

The white PTFE (Teflon) element at the top of the hot-end is sensitive to high temperatures. The PEEK element down below can withstand temps of about 300 °C.

Not according to my experiences or this data sheet, which says max. long-term temp for both PEEK and PTFE is 500F (260 C).

http://www.plasticsintl.com/sortable_materials.php?display=thermal&sort=heat_deflection66

I discolored and slightly deformed my first PEEK running ABS prints at 265-270C. With my current setup, similar to Joergen's hot end, I print Ultimachine black at 275 C.

I molded a PEEK replacement out of Hi-Temp Lab Metal compound. Though it's somewhat fragile (it's a filler and molded parts is not its intended application), it's good for 1000 F. I don't really need it right now and if I had some Macor ceramic laying around, I'd machine it into a PEEK replacement.

Thank you, guys. It looks like I will have to slightly modify my Ultimaker and then printing with polycarbonate can come true.

Joergen, on the photos of your upgraded hot end I can see a small radiator between the hot end and the PEEK. Did you buy this element or you made it yourself? ...and another question, that 'silicone foam insulation'... what is it for? I could understand that you want to isolate the hot end from the PEEK... but this foam just cover the hot end from outside and does not insulate from the PEEK.. so can you please explain me the physics behind this element?

I thought I outlined all the info at http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/1925-modification-to-the-hot-end-for-abs-printing/

let me know if something is left unclear in that post.

The silicone foam limits the heat bleeding from the alu into the air, keeping the temp more stable, and lessening the cooling effect the fan has on the heater. you know, insulation.

Thank you, Joergen. Right now everything is clear! It's just my fault that before I didn't read the forum carefully... sorry for that.

The silicone foam insulation also makes sense. It just helps to keep the stable temperature which for sure it's a very important thing to print better. ...Before I was just confused because I thought that it also insulates the PEEK but it actually has nothing to do with that... and the part which improves the printer temperature resistant is the radiator.

Anyway, both upgrades (radiator and silicone foam) are very interesting and sooner or later I have to proceed with them :-)