Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
dotyman

Feature request: FILAMENT PROTECTION

Hello,

Given the number of problems that result from the filaments being exposed to the elements when in use on the back of the printer, there should be some sort of sealed compartment for the filaments designed into the system. I'm actually surprised this hasn't been addressed yet.

Such a feature is prerequisite to being considered a professional printer.

Thanks.

Dotyman

I made dry boxes for my filament. A tray in the bottom holds the desiccant. A short piece of teflon tubing goes between the box and the feeder. They also have the advantage of being beside the printer instead of the back. In the back may make the marketing types happy because it looks nice but it is near impossible to monitor the filament.

I also added a cover (and a door) to my printers. They completely eliminate warping and cracking problems printing ABS. I haven't tried polycarbonate or nylon yet.

The boxes barely fit for printing on my UM2 haven't tried on my UM3 (the print area is a little smaller due to the second nozzle). I'll try to get them uploaded soon.

I agree that a real filament system should be designed in. It would be way more useful then the material recognition chips.

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the reply. I also have added a custom door and (power-vented) hood that actually encloses the top and back of the entire machine (UM3X). In addition, I've added a dehumidifier inside the enclosure (near the filament spools) and a temperature monitor inside the build chamber. The only hassle is changing the spools since I have to move the entire printer out of the enclosure in order to access them.

The enclosure with dehumidifier keeps the top/back of the printer moisture-free (<10% according to humidity indicator strips inside) while the printer is hot while printing. However, the humidity level returns to room levels (about 40-50%) when the printer is off, even with the dehumidifier left on.

I have seen the many filament storage/dry box ideas online. The main problem I see with them is that even though they are air tight, they are built in transparent boxes that don't protect the filaments from UV light. I am in the process of designing and building a custom filament storage/feeder box out of a moisture-proof Pelican box–similar to the design used by the Markforged desktop 3D printers.

Thanks again!

dotyman

Ha, I had the same Idea after I came back from a 2-week holiday and had many problems with ABS which collected moisture.

I made a small compartment for one spool which has ball bearings and stands free. It works fine, but the thingiverse-part is cool, I think I will print one :-)