Supports not sticking evenly on plate

Posted · Supports not sticking evenly on plate

I am fairly new to 3D printing and currently i have access to a shared Ultimaker 2+.

Getting the hang of tuning Cura to get the best results when printing with PLA, but..

the supports are not sticking evenly to the glass plate all the time and therefore sometimes ruin my prints.

As you can see on the top view of the large support structure, not all support lines are perfect straight and sometimes even missing.

What is the best way to resolve this. Mind i do have no access to the printer myself, so cannot prime the plate with salt water is i have seen in the community.

52862109802__129930D4-A598-45FC-A0CC-E276F8F03C72.thumb.JPG.f3506bafe25cb94b6b40ebc2194cd67d.JPG

52862096082__42BE637E-5A8C-4D39-A947-01432F03CCE7.thumb.JPG.15e4d6f678bf1ad3506cee94574dc19f.JPG

Cheers,

Peter

52862109802__129930D4-A598-45FC-A0CC-E276F8F03C72.thumb.JPG.f3506bafe25cb94b6b40ebc2194cd67d.JPG

52862096082__42BE637E-5A8C-4D39-A947-01432F03CCE7.thumb.JPG.15e4d6f678bf1ad3506cee94574dc19f.JPG

Without direct access to the plate itself, I do not think Cura can overcome the possible physical issues with the plate. Things like:

Not cleaned completely

Not primed with glue, salt or some other adhesive issues

Not perfectly level for some reason

Any other physical issue that may occur with the axis armatures or nozzles.

If you are not allowed to operate the printer yourself (like in schools where students have to submit their designs to an operator), your best bet would be to kindly educate the operator. He may not be aware of bed leveling methods or bonding methods. Don't blame him or her, but offer help and give facts: that is easier accepted.

If you are not allowed to operate the printer yourself (like in schools where students have to submit their designs to an operator), your best bet would be to kindly educate the operator. He may not be aware of bed leveling methods or bonding methods. Don't blame him or her, but offer help and give facts: that is easier accepted.

Really depends on the area of the college it is located in. One college with different campuses I worked at were diametrically opposite. One was run with a closed off/fiefdom type of attitude and would not share information or take suggestions.

The other was more open to information, but could still be a bit testy about 'help from the students/lowerlings.' "I know what I am doing, I have a degree" really is getting to be a problem. At least in America in my experience.