Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Karam

Bleaching AND with Acetone

If you check the safety data sheet of Ultimaker ABS you might see that this filament does not only consist of ABS but is a blend of ABS, PC and PET. This might explain the unusual behavior with acetone vapor. You might want to use pure ABS for the acetone treatment.

If you check the safety data sheet of Ultimaker ABS you might see that this filament does not only consist of ABS but is a blend of ABS, PC and PET. This might explain the unusual behavior with acetone vapor. You might want to use pure ABS for the acetone treatment.

Thanks. However the ABS in using is from ultimaker. I'll be surprised if they have mixed it. Do u know if this is something they do?

The data sheet only says ABS with no mix

Thanks. However the ABS  in using is from ultimaker. I'll be surprised if they have mixed it. Do u know if this is something they do?

The data sheet only says ABS with no mix

You probably checked the technical data sheet. The safety data sheet is more specific.

Yup, had the same issue. I was very confused at first, as to why my print would not smooth with acetone vapors. Then tried making ABS slurry for build plate adhesion, and noted that the UM ABS would not dissolve at all.. 
Now I am stuck with 10(!) rolls of so-called ABS from Ultimaker, that I opted for with the sole reasoning that it can be post-processed. This stuff does not even sand like regular ABS. Quite disappointing. 

If you put some filament on the build plate and heat to 70C, pla will be very soft.  LIke clay.  If it gets soft then it's pla.  If you heat to 95C and it's soft then it's PET/CPE most likely.  If it gets soft around 100-105C then it's probably ABS.  Putting the filament under a face cloth or napkin or similar insulator makes this test easier and more accurate.