First Layer when support enabled (v2.7 +)

Reflector36

Posted · First Layer when support enabled (v2.7 +)

I cant find a setting to disable the first layer when support is enabled. When disabled the first layer of the model is on the print bed as expected, but with support enabled i get a weird 1 layer raft like structure, no rafts enabled.

Cura_support.thumb.png.e8ac03fe55e74d6c13e9942bab3c2db0.png

Cura_support.thumb.png.e8ac03fe55e74d6c13e9942bab3c2db0.png

In settings try disabling the checkbox that makes the part always sit on the bed (cura settings - not slicer settings). Then use the move tool and move your part downwards by .5mm and see if that makes a difference. I'm wondering if most of your part is kind of up off the build plate.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the late reply, i went back to 2.6.2 as it works without issues with all the models i tried. I have now downloaded the latest 3.1.0 and it still does this strange first layer when supports are enabled, I couldnt find the exact setting you mentioned, but i did find under general settings "Auto drop models to build plate", not sure if that worked. If i put the model to anything over -.1 it wont slice and greys the model as if its outside the build volume.

Sorry the "greyed" out was my mistake, the new "print head preview" was messing with me, yes dropping it down even -0.1mm works to remove that first support layer, but it doesnt answer why its there in the first place when the same models in older version of cura work normally

I used 3.2 with moving all parts down by typing in the z value -.32mm, a single layer height.  And success  

• Like 1

You probably could have moved it down less - did you try moving it down by only 0.1?

I tried moving it down slightly by dragging the arrow with no luck, not sure if it was .1, but worked as .32 and I just went with it, after two failed prints thinking my first layer wasnt sticking. Cleaning the bed for no reason..., I was happy to just get it printing.